Chapter 67: The Smallest Meet Up Ever

'Courtney!' I exclaim when I open the door. She smiles and I pull her into a hug. 'Come in!' I stand aside and Courtney enters the house. 'Thanks.' She says quietly. She's quite shy, Courtney. And I have no doubt that she is excited to meet Joe, Zoë and Alfie, which has probably made her nervous, too. She follows me into the living room where Joe, Zoë and Alfie are sitting, watching something on the laptop which they are crying at because they are laughing so much.

'You must be Courtney, hi!' Zo beams, approaching Courtney.
'Hi, Zoë!' Courtney smiles, sounding quiet. Zoë hugs her and Courtney blushes. 'I watch your videos a lot.' Alfie and Joe greet Courtney and I can tell by looking at her that she is doing her best to not just scream. She hardly stops going on about YouTube and YouTubers in our office. It's not annoying, she's just obsessed. It's nice, though. After Courtney has calmed down a little and seems to have gotten over her excitement a little, I am really intrigued as to what video was so funny. 'What was so funny?'

Zo bursts out laughing just at the thought of it. She opens her laptop and pats the spots either side of her so me and Courtney can watch the video. Someone has taken the John Lewis 2014 advert and done a running commentary for the penguin in Geordie. Incredible! I'm in stitches at the first line; "Whey, 'e's not that fucking funny man. Cocky twat." By the end I'm rolling around laughing, hardly able to breathe. Courtney is the same. 'I think it's funny because one: I know exactly what they are saying for every word and you don't and two: it's so true! That literally sounds like me on a rant!' I laugh.
'My favourite bit was, "give is a fish finger ya fat bastard!"' Courtney laughs and we all crack up at the thought of the video. 'I like the bit where he's drawing the card and then the penguin says, "absolutely shit."' Zo giggles.
'I liked, "fucking hate pigeons me, like" the best. It's so Geordie it's unreal because we use "like" like, for every sentence.' I realise I've said "like" and laugh even more at how stereotypical that must sound.

I show Courtney to my room, the place where I film my videos. She seems really excitable and I feel she needs to calm down a little. 'Okay. Let's just chill.' I put a hand on Courtney's shoulder and try to diminish the wild look in her eyes. 'C'mon. I want to show you something.' I say, waving her over to the ladder. We climb up and are overlooking a sunset when we sit down. 'Wow.' Courtney exclaims, fiddling with her white hair with turquoise highlights. 'So how do you like the guys, then?' I ask, trying to calm her down.
'They're amazing! You're so lucky to have such good friends.' Courtney's tone goes from happy to sad. 'What do you mean?' I ask, turning to her. She sighs.

'Well, when I was younger, nobody wanted me. I had no friends in school and it was painful. My parents said I was a disgrace and for my eighteenth birthday they gave me money to buy an apartment and then disowned me after I moved in. They hated me. We never talked and when we did we argued. My dad beat me, my mum kicked me out a lot. I guess it was a good thing I was left to my own devices, I'm better that way. YouTube was my medicine, though. Like you and Joe and Zoë and Alfie and all the YouTubers. You guys made me determined to not give up, I guess.' As Courtney speaks, I feel a tear slip down my cheek. Her words are so moving to me. I hug her tightly and as I let her go she smiles a wide smile. 'I'm so glad we're friends, Courtney. And I mean it. That's so moving, I don't know what to say.' I manage. Courtney smiles sadly.

'I thought you two would be up here!' Joe exclaims as he opens the window and hoists himself up next to me and Courtney. The sun has finally set and it is pitch black apart from the light seeping out through the skylights. 'We were wondering where you guys had disappeared to. I knew you'd be up here.' So we all retreat down the ladder and down the stairs to the living room. 'I should be going, it's getting late and I still have extra data to log.' Courtney says, checking the time and grabbing her shoes and jacket. 'Okay. Also Courtney, remember we have to put together some information for our blog.' Me and Courtney started up a blog together aside my usual blog, mainly for the research centre and a way to store information needed there. 'Yep. On what species?'
'I've been thinking corals. Maybe we could begin researching tomorrow. We've got an extra meeting at ten, so anytime after that.'
'Yeah maybe we could find information from ten 'til half eleven and then chart the baby loggerhead's progress in the rescue centre?'
'Yeah, okay.' Me and Courtney don't talk about anything but science sometimes.

We say goodbye to Courtney and Zo exchanges numbers with her. I give Courtney a wink; I know how much YouTubers mean to her. I flop in front of the TV, I really can't be bothered. Zoë reminds me that we have to film and I decide that we can do that tomorrow, maybe a YouTuber whispers for Joe's channel or something. Zoë goes back soon and I'm going to miss her so much. She's my best friend and is so supportive. Joe puts an arm around me and kisses my forehead. 'I could cry for Courtney.' I say as quietly as possible, not letting my voice catch. 'Why?' Joe asks, tightening his grip around me and holding me closer.

'She was disowned. Her parents gave her money to buy an apartment for her eighteenth and then her parents disowned her. She says she likes it that way, but she had no friends, no family. We helped her, Joe. I could just cry I feel so sad for her.' I explain, tears welling in my eyes. Courtney is one of the brightest and most down to earth people I've met in a long time. She's just really cool-headed and maybe her background helps reflect that. 'I feel so lucky to know her, Joe. Like, we never take that stuff into consideration and it makes me feel so lucky.' I sigh into Joe's shoulder, turning my face away from the room. When I turn back, Zoë is curled up on the sofa fast asleep next to Alfie. He smiles and points at Zo. I smile back and nod my head. This is why me and Zo are friends. Comfy sofa naps. Not really, there's more to it than that, obviously. We all sit in a silence, which I haven't decided if it's nice or awkward yet, and it feels like we are waiting for something to happen. But nothing will happen tonight that's exciting. That's a fact. I trail up the stairs after saying goodnight and flop on the bed, wishing I could be on the roof once again.