Chapter 37: E-mail

'Joe?' I breath. I was speechless momentarily before speaking. He turns his head to me. 'Yeah?' I shove the laptop in his face, pointing at the e-mail.

'Look at this!' His eyes widen and he smiles up at me, hugging me tightly.

The e-mail states that when I have finished my university course, if I would like to, there is a job open doing research on a rare species of turtle called the "loggerhead" found in the Great Barrier Reef and the Atlantic Ocean. The place offering the job is where I've dreamed of working since I first started to get into marine biology. They're offering me this amazing job and I know I have to take it.

I notice Joe's smile fade as he continues to scan the e-mail, making me confused. 'What's wrong?'

'Nothing, nothing. I'm happy for you, honestly.' He beams. I smile at Joe,

'I mean, it's not for another nine months when I finish my course. But I have to take it, I have to. It's my dream.'

'I know and you must take it.' Joe kisses me quickly and I smile up at him.

That night as we lie in bed, I contemplate my options. I know I can't turn this job offer down, it's my dream. You don't find a dream a reality too often and when you do, you don't let it go. I mean, there will be an awful lot of work to do, I guess. And with my depression, it may be a little tougher. But it's my dream, and I'm almost certain I will take it.

Joe nuzzles closer into my neck and I feel his eyelashes batting lightly against my skin, telling me he is awake. He pulls me closer to him as I wriggle around to face him. 'What's up? Can you not sleep?' Joe asks me.

'Not really. I'm too busy thinking about the whole job thing.'

'So, tell me about it. Like, what studies will you do?' Joe asks. He and I decide we probably won't sleep anymore.

'Well, I'll be studying the "loggerhead turtle", which is an endangered species of marine turtle found in the Great Barrier Reef and the Atlantic Ocean. There are many other species of endangered animal found in the Great Barrier Reef and it stated that there is a research programme. So for six months, you study one thing and then for the next six months, you study something else.' Joe nods as I speak. He seems a little unsure about the idea but I don't know why.

'What's wrong, Joe? I've known you long enough to know something is up.' I say.

'Should I just tell you now? Or do you want to find out yourself by reading the e-mail?' Joe asks me.

'Well could you just tell me now?' I reply, puzzled. Joe sighs,

'Did you not read the whole e-mail?' I shake my head no and he continues, 'Alright. Estelle, I really want you to take this job but -'

'But what?' I urge, desperate to find out what is wrong.

'Estelle, you'll have to move.'

I think. Moving's not that bad! I can just go to London and study there and Joe can come with me. 'What's so bad about that?' I ask him and he sighs again.

'You really need to read that e-mail. I don't want to tell you.'

'Tell me.' I need to know what's so bad about moving.

'Estelle, you'll have to move to -' He pauses, clearly hesitating. He then breaths the word and I realise why moving is so awful. 'Australia.'