Fan Fictions and Crossovers

I'm pretty horrid at fan fictions myself, so if you're in same boat of "I'm better at writing my own series" like I am, then you could probably skip this one.

What is a fan fiction? It's a story that takes place in a world that the writer didn't create. It uses the canon characters and either original storyline, or can take place in the past or future. With me, I do the past or future because all knows, I don't have time to look at the script and copy word for word, it's not happening. I got lucky with RWBY, but boy oh boy, Zestiria is literal dictionary.

Fan fictions can be the retelling of a story by the writer's want or can include an OC. What is an OC? It's a character that the writer created for a series that's not their own. If you didn't know that, welcome to the fan fiction community, no I'm not a part of it. In this sense, the development comes from what's already been established and what's newly introduced. OCs grow from their experience inside the world and have to abide by the world's rules, or else you get a Mary Sue.

But what about crossovers? I don't know if crossovers and fan fictions should be in the same group but I'm putting them in for the sake of not having to repeat myself. What's a crossover? It's a collaboration between two series. It can be from the same developer, looking at you Namco with God Eater Resonant Ops and Tales of the Rays (I'm drawing for one of them). If it's official, then it's by permission or you own the series participating. I.E. Trials of Legendaria, I own each of the titles and characters present so I don't need permission to use them. Or, Mysteria X RD, which Manny and I both had plans for and created side by side.

How about crossovers between your series and another's? Well, if it's a friend then making it official is easy, just get permission. If it's a big company and everyone knows a little writer like us isn't going to appeal to them, then fan crossovers are the way to go. This is where things get dicey. It's common for many writers to want to make a story about a series they like and set their characters in. Whether OC or CC (character you created for your series), the rules of the world take priority. Taking place in your world, do whatever you want. Taking place in the other world, either make limitations, explain that the character is from another world, or leave it out.

In any means you need to show that the character entering the world is abiding by some rules. Sometimes they don't have limitations but they need to hide their power, or other times they are forced to keep their power limited for the world. If a power doesn't exist in the world and your character has it, you'll need to explain a bit about the world they're from and why they have it. It's not Mary Sue if the power abides by that world's rules.

From there on do what you want, you'll probably have to stay in character if is a solo gig or take turns if it's a duel gig. What I mean, is, I'm leaving it up to you, but there are some rules and regulations to using another's work for a crossover or fan fiction. Of course tagging and giving credit is just one of them. Feel free to make scenes the way you want and remember than if a character acts out of line, and it's not yours, the fandom may get on your case. But that is up to you.