Popularity

Every kid wants to be popular, always wanting attention and so forth. For me it's not a priority, I have trouble avoiding people on a daily basis who want to talk about their life for two hours straight. I'm an introvert. So you could imagine how I feel about being popular. I've never been popular, never cared. But there are some people who do.

Joining the right community is good for attention. But other times it's simply what you do. You can write the worst story ever and have it be popular, Sword Art Online, or you can write the best story ever and have it be popular. Safe to say, attention is attention. My series is slowly gaining attention and so are my other works. Probably because I advertise on DA here and there.

The Bad Story Route:

Making a bad story is easy, you don't try. Don't do your research, don't make interesting characters, don't make a story that makes a lick of sense and make fun of the people you initially want to appeal to. Bad stories and boring stories are different, bad stories are actually entertaining, while boring stories are on the same level of watching paint dry or grass grow.

Not trying whatsoever can only get you so far before people find a good story and send their attention there. And I don't think negative reviews will get you new followers.

Good Story Route:

Try, at the very least do your research. Know what you're doing and do it well. Pacing, story telling, development, all the factors that make a story. Don't settle for the minimum but don't kill yourself to reach the maximum. Take it slowly. If you can enjoy it then perhaps they can too. Unless you're trying to appeal to the wrong demographic or your tastes just suck. (Cough, rich girl complaining about not having enough, cough, god damn magic book, cough).

(My bird is making weird noises ><.)

Do what you feel is right. If not trying at all feels right, then a parody story would be good. If you want to spend years on developing a story, then be prepared to spend a load of time on it.

If you've run out of source material, then take a break. Unless your source material is a copy and paste of someone's else work. Then you should stop.