Hero's Sacrifice

If it's one thing we all love, it's watching the hero's sacrifice, whether it's a trait or item, or even their life, it's an emotional scene that makes the audience and the other characters cry.

-Examples

-Roman Archaman and Mash Kyrielight

There was no way I was writing this without talking about these two. Fujimaru's best friends and closest allies who sacrificed their lives to stop Goetia.

We're introduced to both during Fujimaru's time in Chaldea and they're by his side throughout the entirety of the singularity arc. We see them grow as a family and treat each other as one, rather than the co worker attitude they had when starting off. When it comes time to fight Goetia, Mash protects Fujimaru with her shield and the flames burned her alive. Romani reveals himself as Solomon and uses a Noble Phantasm to strip Goetia of immortality, but also kills himself in the process.

Their sacrifice breaks down Fujimaru mentally, he loved them and had to watch them kill themselves to protect him. In the Lostbelt prologue, after Mash is brought back, the first thing she thinks of when Chaldea is under attack is Romani's room and the memories they had with him. Because those are the only things left of him.

 Because those are the only things left of him

-Final Fantasy X

FF is one of my favorite franchises, I love many of the characters and have played a few games. I love how ready the characters are to face the consequences of their actions and their fate. Tidus from FFX knew he was going to die in the end, and he was ready for it. But the tragedy isn't just from his death, it's from the fact we spent so long avoiding Yuna's death, that we didn't do anything to avoid his death. And most of main characters didn't know until he was gone.

(Edit) So, Auron was brought up in a comment, I was so focused on Tidus, I forgot to mention him. Auron was a friend to Tidus' father and made a promise to take care of Tidus. He even died trying to avenge Tidus' father and came back to life because he wanted to fulfill his promise to the end, and he did. He was only able to cross over to the Far Side when he knew Tidus was going to be okay and that Sin was gone forever.

-Done wrong-

When a writer doesn't give us a reason to care about the character and they die in a stupid way. Let's see... that fan fiction I reviewed, what was the heroine's name? Michu? I can't remember so we're rolling with that. Michu's grand plan was to fight the enemy alone and unarmed, while her back up took drinking lemonade as priority. But even before that, we knew nothing about her or her relationships with the others. When she dies, no one really cares.

As someone in Fate discord said, they thought the fight was the end game to a big story, not some one shot that can't be bothered to introduce the reader to anything or develop relationships before we jump into a battle with lives at stake. It's the same as killing a character in the first two minutes of a murder mystery, no one cares.