Flaws

I think it's really sad to see many who don't know what flaws are. The ones who make Mary Sues or the ones who don't want or can't make a real character.

But what is a flaw? It can be a limitation, it can be a part of the character that makes them look weak, it can even be something that makes them different. Whatever flaws you choose for your character, it should make sense. Being depressed and abused is not a flaw, it's part of a backstory and/or character arc. But it's not a flaw. Being too perfect is not a flaw and being better than everyone else is not a flaw. Being well educated but also being too stupid to do life itself is not a flaw, that's a contradiction.

What are flaws then? According to the dictionary, flaws are "a mark, fault, or other imperfection that mars a substance or object." Flaws are what people don't want others to see but are needed to be accepted. If someone can't accept your flaws then you're not going to have a good relationship. And no, being a special snowflake is not a flaw. So why do many writers not put flaws in their characters?

Well, to put it simple, it could be a self insert fan fiction where the writer strips all the parts that make them human in favor for a idealized self. It could also be that imperfect characters are unlikable, which is the opposite of the truth. Or it could be that the writers are just idiots. Or maybe they do see themselves as "special" and "perfect", special snowflakes.

Whatever the case, treat characters like human beings. People who have faults in their lives, people who have limitations and people who need support from others to do the things they can't do alone.