~Chapter 13~

“Look, Nick, I really need to go…” She quickly said when she realized she needed to get a pregnancy test to make sure she was or wasn’t pregnant if she wanted to be calm.

“Oh… Um… Okay, Dem” He said, kind of confused. She flashed a quick smile toward him before writing her telephone down on a napkin and then handling it to him. “Call me sometime, yeah?” He nodded his head.

Demi stood up and left the cafeteria, rushing into a pharmacy where she bought the test.

She sat in her car for some minutes, wondering if she should go back to the orphanage and face Wilmer. Perhaps she was lucky and he didn’t remember of anything that had happened last night.

With that in her mind, she started up the vehicle and drove towards the orphanage.

A big breath was taken by her before she opened the huge doors that let her enter the place. Just when she was inside, it started raining outside.

Demi ran towards her room, praying that Wilmer wasn’t around. She really wasn’t in the mood to see him.

Once the door was fully closed behind her, she felt safe and pressed her back against the door and let out a sigh of relief as she slowly let her butt hit the ground, sitting down there.

“Okay, Demi, you got this” She talked to herself as she held the box that contained the test in her hands.

She could feel her heart about to pop out of her chest. She felt nervous, really, really nervous. Her breathing became shaky and so did her hands.

“Just calm the fuck down” Demi grunted under her breath.

Taking a deep breath, she opened the box and put her eyes on the test. She stood up and walked into the toilet.

Demi squealed, excited, once she saw what the test said.

Negative.

She smiled like an idiot and threw the test into the trash. After that she just let herself fall on the bed and stare at the ceiling with that stupid smile on her happy face.

Some knocks could be heard on the door so she was obliged to leave the bed and open the door.

“Hey, Demi” Stephanie greeted her with a warm smile on her lips. Next to her was little Luna, holding her hand.

“Hey, Steph” Her brown eyes looked then at Luna. “Hey, honey, how are you, Luna?” She asked her.

Luna swallowed and looked down. Demi smiled and then looked at Steph.

“So Wilmer’s away and I gotta go now… And I was wondering if you could take care of Luna while we’re away” She asked.

Demi smiled big, she loved this kid.

“Yeah, for sure. Come in, Luna, we’re gonna have fun” Demi said happily, and offered her hand to Luna.

The little girl doubted first but then held Demi’s hand.

“She’ll be alright” Demi told Stephanie, who smiled and nodded her head. “I know. See you later. Bye, baby girl” She waved at them and then left.

“So, what do you like to do?” Demi asked after closing the door behind her and Luna.

Luna stared around the room with her gorgeous big eyes.

Eventually, she sat down on the bed and started to nervously play with the fabric of her plush bunny.

Demi sat down next to her.

“What’s the name of the bunny?” She decided to ask but Luna didn’t answer.

“Are you hungry?” Demi tried.

Luna looked at her but quickly looked away.

“No…” She mumbled and then it went silent.

Demi sighed. Luna got up from the bed and sat on the ground as she started to play with her bunny.

She couldn’t help but think about Maddie, her little sister. Being without her was like living in hell. If she closed her eyes, she could still picture her laughing, she could still hear her calling for her big sister.

She felt sad. When she opened her eyes, a tear rolled down her cheek. Opening her eyes also allowed her to realize that Luna was now standing in front of her.

“Why are you crying, Demi?” Little Luna asked with a sweet tone of voice. Demi smiled at the girl and wiped the tear away but soon, it was replaced by new ones.

Luna sighed.

“Don’t cry” She whispered and climbed on her lap to wipe the tears away. “Daddy cries sometimes too” She told her as she made Demi look into her big eyes.

“He does?”

“He does” She affirmed. “He misses mommy. I do too but I know she’s coming back some day… She’s just on a vacation to the clouds… She’ll come back” Luna sounded so sure it hurt Demi.

“Do you miss someone too, Demi?” The little girl asked. Demi sighed and ended up nodding her head. “Your mommy?”

Demi chuckled lightly and took a deep breath before wiping more tears away.

“No, Luna. I don’t miss my mommy. I miss my baby sister”

“Is she in heaven, like my mommy?”

“No, baby. She’s in Dallas”

Luna pulled a confused face and Demi understood that Luna was too young to understand.

“Go visit her” She suggested, smiling as if she had just thought about the best idea in the whole world. And it made Demi laugh a bit.

“I should sometime, don’t you think, Luna?” The girl nodded her head, excited, causing her hair to fall in front of her eyes.

“So… Wanna do something? It’s raining outside so I was thinking about a movie” Demi said. Luna smiled and got off of Demi.

“Yes! I wanna see ‘The little mermaid’ it’s my favourite movie!”

Demi smiled, happy that Luna was talking to her normally. It was weird but it was good and it made her feel content.