The Exam

This is the story of a small town girl named Scarlet. Born and raised in a small mining village named Flint, she grew up being really the only one from her town with combat magic. When she became of age she received a grimoire that was bright blue in color that looked singed around the edges. It has rich gold embroidering which surrounded a three leaf clover. Being the combat type, the village encouraged her to try for the Magic Knights. She wasn't exactly in a hurry so she waited a few years before finally heading off for the exam.

Scarlet's Point Of View

After arriving at the capital I noticed all the looks I was getting and tried to keep my head low. Despite having combat magic I'm not one for confrontation. Being from the boonies even my best outfits screamed peasant, but my village gave me the best they had. I'm grateful for the support they've given me even though I had to leave them. Sadly my thick wavy red hair made me stick out and my emerald green eyes didn't help either.

I made it to the area where everyone was waiting for the test to begin

I made it to the area where everyone was waiting for the test to begin. Everyone around me seemed so high class and stuck up. All these damn birds flying around messing with people made it easy to see the weaker links since they liked weaker mages. Thankfully there's just one nesting in my hair minding its business. While I was trying to keep to myself leaning against the wall out of the way, a man who was clearly a noble walked up to me with a shit eating grin on his face. He had two birds flying around him pulling at his clothes and hair.

"Are you thinking of taking the test?" He said keeping that grin on his face as he got closer.

"Yes." I avoided eye contact. Starting trouble with a noble would surely end badly.

He scoffed. "Well I'd just give up and go home if I were you. Peasants don't belong in-"

A loud voice from behind him interjected. "Who are you to decide whether someone can join or not?" Behind him emerged a boy about my height with light hair and a black headband. Surprised to see so many birds around him my jaw dropped and the bird from my head flew to him and began pulling at his cheek.

The noble started laughing as he pointed at him. The boy just turned his back to him and ignored him. "Don't let that guy bother you. I'm not a noble either, but I'm determined to become the Wizard King!" He was so enthusiastic it was hard to not smile with him.

"Well I hope it works out then." I said giving him a warm smile.

He scratched his head. "Well I'll see you around I guess." He started walking away as he ran into a big muscly guy with black hair and a cigarette in his mouth. He was too far away to hear at this point, but the man grabbed his head looking like he was going to squash him. Seeing the man's expression I could tell he was pissed. All of a sudden the leaders of the knights groups walked out onto the balcony as the crowd started quieting down and the birds flew away. The man put the boy down and hopped up there too, but not before turning and threatening him again though. I didn't know how a captain could be so brutal to someone so young. I hope I don't get put in with them. I don't know if I could handle that kind of pressure.