The Path I'm Walking

The sun had just began peaking over the horizon as I laid awake staring at my ceiling. No matter how hard I tried, my mind wouldn't let me get even an hour of sleep. It didn't help that I had my snoring flame for brains was taking up most of my bed with his ass against me. I gently moved my covers aside trying not to wake him but he rolled over still snoring to take up more of the bed. I can't lie, the dumbass looks adorable but damn he's a restless sleeper. How did I manage to share a bed with him before?

After quietly getting dressed, I made my way down to our little cafeteria. Asta was up early already working on his chores. I walked to the counter to grab an orange since Charmy wasn't awake yet and sat at the end of the table that was already cleaned. "You're up early." I stated peeling my orange into a small dish.

"Of course I am! We have to train for the Royal Knights exam! Isn't that why you're up so early?" Asta tossed his rag into his little cleaning bucket and sat it aside. "Did you even sleep? You look like hell."

"Thanks, you're such a charmer." I said sarcastically while flicking a peel, hitting him staring in the face. "I have something I want to do before I train. I just have to wait for Finral to wake up to ask him for a favor."

"Well, you can train with Noelle and I if you want. I don't know who else is going to take the exam with us."

"Magna will because he's determined to become stronger and do more as a Magic Knight and Luck is just battle happy so he'll definitely want to join. I'll most likely be training with them."

Asta shrugged before grabbing his bucket. "We could all train together! Although, that might become too much." He thought about it for a second and began walking away. "Hope whatever you have to do goes well."

I sighed and began slowly eating my orange as I waited for Finral to come downstairs. Noelle, Gordon and Grey had come down and greeted me with a 'good morning' before doing their own thing. Noelle isn't much of a morning person so she kept to herself as she grabbed her morning coffee.

Finally, I felt Finral's ki coming down the stairs. I got up to meet him at the bottom of the stairs earning a confused look from him. "What's up, Scarlet? You're not usually up this early."

"I uhh.. I wanted to ask you for a favor." I held my hands trying not to fidget from my nervousness. "Would you be able to take me back home? Just for a few minutes?"

Finral sighed, rubbing the back of his head. "Since you seem so stressed I guess I can. Just please don't make a habit of asking. It's hard being everyone's teleport dummy."

I reached out pulling him into a tight hug making him tense up. "Thank you, this really means a lot."

"N-No p-problem.." His face heated up from the unexpected situation he was now stuck it. "W-We should get going."

I nodded and let go allowing him to open the portal for me. We stepped onto the grass in front of my childhood home. I took a deep breath trying to relieve the stress building up inside. "Please stay out here. No matter what you hear just please stay outside. I won't be long."

Finral agreed and sat on a nearby rock to wait. Entering my home I was greeted by my father who sat at the kitchen table with his morning newspaper in hand. "Hey kiddo. Congrats on your squad placing second this year! You sure are making a difference." His face gleamed with pride through his reading glasses making my heart sink a little more."

I rubbed the back of my neck giving a half hearted smile. "Thanks."

"Oh you're home? You look exhausted, are you alright?" Mom walked down the stairs seeing my emotions clear as day..