Training With The Lion Cub

"Why the hell didn't you tell me we were starting!" I yelled pulling out my grimoire.

Laughing, Leo let his flames surround him. "You think the enemy will warn you before attacking?"

My grimoire opened with my flames forming my claws. "I guess that's fair. Thought we were training though, not fighting."

He tilted his head in confusion. "Why are you using a spell right away. Fuegoleon always taught me to save pulling out my grimoire as a last resort."

"What? Why? Isn't it easier to fight with your spells?"

"Well yeah, but you'll show the enemies all your best tricks right off the bat. Flame magic is strong on its own as long as you're good with hand to hand combat."

I dispelled my claws and put my grimoire back in its sheath. "That actually makes a lot of sense. I never thought of it that way."

The two of us let our magic pour out around us making our flames surge with a brilliant light. I charged right for him watching him put his hands out in front of him creating a pillar of flames. I swiftly boosted myself above his flames doing a front flip and using his head to push myself behind him. He tried swinging his arm behind to block me, but as I landed I kicked him square in the back making him fall forward.

"You aren't very agile are you?" I taunted while he got up.

"I never thought my rival would be as nimble as an acrobat." He countered rushing towards me.

I had to admit that Leo was pretty fast, but not fast enough to keep up. He kept throwing fireballs my way while I blocked them with my own making him visibly more frustrated. It's not an angry frustration though, It's a determined to improve frustration. Moving forward he began changing his patterns of attack. I stumbled trying to predict his thought process to which he took that opportunity. Sending out another pillar of flames I jumped up above them again to dodge. Seeing the devilish grin on his face He jumped towards me managing to land a solid hit to my gut with his flame covered fist. Clenching my stomach I dropped to my knees trying to hold back hurling. Though my wounds are fairly healed at this point that didn't exactly feel good.

"Oh shit. Are you ok Scarlet?" Leo leaned down next to me looking like he just killed a puppy.

It took a moment but I smiled at him. "I'm fine, forgot I was recovering from a previous injury."

"You should have told me! We didn't have to train then!"

"No, trust me. I'm fine. Let's just focus on teaching each other for now. I'll be fine tomorrow." I laid back on the bricks while catching my breath. "I wanna fight again before I leave."

"Well, if you insist. I don't wanna cripple my rival." He laid next to me sighing. "I really wish Fuegoleon would wake up already. I know he can get through this, but he's just taking his sweet old time."

"Despite only meeting him at that ceremony, he seemed like a genuinely nice guy. He even defended us Black Bulls."

"Of course! Social status and rank mean nothing when it comes to being a Magic Knight. Ultimately we all have the same goal, to protect our kingdom. Sadly, I think the royalty thing goes to people's heads sometimes."

"Tell me about it. Your cousin, front braid, hates everything about our squad including the people in it. I just don't understand why. Even his little sister. So what if she's having trouble controlling her magic. He can't tell me he never struggled."

"Us royals are just supposed to be born with raw talent. I think if it wasn't for my siblings I'd be a lot weaker than I am now. They really taught me how to play off my strengths and get better."