Pushing Too Far

We took a few steps towards the base as the doors suddenly blew off their hinges. Through the smoke, I saw a young blonde boy with slight lightning emanating from him as he jumped through the air. He was taunting a guy with a gray and black mohawk who was rapidly swinging his fiery bat flinging fire balls as the boy dodged them laughing. There was a tiny girl sitting at a table with a mountain of sweets, a pink haired woman in only her bra and panties surrounded by booze on the couch, a man staring at a mirror while his nose bled and a large man whose mouth was smoking.

The captain motioned towards the mess. "Welcome to the worst Magic Knight's squad, the Black Bulls!" Asta and I stood there with our jaws dropped just looking at the mess. 'What the hell have I gotten myself into...'

As we approached the doorway Asta cleared his throat and tried yelling to get everyone's attention, but it didn't work. I hid behind the captain not wanting to get hurt by these lunatics. Things were getting broken left and right, fireballs and lightning everywhere, people yelling at each other. All of a sudden in a low voice the captain said "duck." I did just that before he swung his arm back smashing the wall behind making it crumble to pieces. "Stop destroying the place!" He yelled.

Everyone stopped what they were doing and rushed to the captain welcoming him back. The captain smiled. "You guys must really like me. Then I guess you can shut the hell up." His face was now scary. He was scary. "We have two new members. This small one behind me." He lifted his arm so they could see me hiding.

"Hello." I waved to them, still shocked and nervous. "I'm Scarlet, nice to meet you all."

"We also have the shrimp here. Show them the ropes, but don't kill them." He said towards Asta.

"I'm from Hage village and I look forward to working with all of you." Asta yelled bowing vigorously.

"There are others besides these guys too. You'll see them around at some point." The captain said leaving us to meet everyone. They were more interested in Asta than me it seemed. I just trailed behind hoping not to draw too much attention to myself so I could observe.

The man with the gray and black hair and the sunglasses walked up to Asta. "A weak little shrimp like you being brought into the Black Bulls. You'll have to go through initiation to get your robe. I won't consider you a Black Bull until you get one." He said trying to sound cool and intimidating.

Asta got all excited jumping around. "Yes! Anything gimme gimme gimme." His eyes gleamed with excitement.

As we all walked outside I crept up behind the guy who challenged Asta. "What about me?" I said in a small voice as I poked his shoulder to get his attention.

He turned his head and his cheeks got a little pink. "Well I- uhh. You look tough enough. Don't worry about it. This kid doesn't even have magic." He scratched the back of his head.

"That doesn't really seem fair." I crossed my arms. "You haven't seen either of us fight."

"I guess I could fight you afterwards, if you really want. Only if I'm not worn out. I mean I've been training all day so I'm not exactly at my strongest." He said unconvincingly.

I walked slower to let him get ahead since he started to frustrate me. The pink haired girl put her arm around my shoulders and leaned on me. "Hey Scarlet, I'm Vanessa. Want some?" She dangled a bottle in front of me offering me some of her alcohol.

"Not now sorry, I might be fighting him after Asta is done. If he's not too 'tired' to fight me." I huffed putting quotations around the 'tired.'

Vanessa laughed. "That's strange, he usually gives his fake initiation to everyone that agrees."