Sleeping Together - Hyakkimaru headcanons

Author's note: Baby boy. Baby. I love him so much. Beautiful, my love.

Anime: Dororo

- It would just be slightly unnerving at first when you would go to sleep with him sitting there, unmoving, unblinking, and wake up to find him the exact same way.

- Figuring it couldn't be comfortable to sit like that all night either you would maneuver him to lay on the ground beside you or near the fire at night, not worried that he might get too close to the flame while you slept.

- He still didn't seem to sleep, eyes open, staying completely still in the hopefully comfortable position you moved him into.

- There was a respectful distance between you while you slept, laying near him but not wanting to overcrowd or bother him, not that you could really tell if he was unhappy with the arrangement.

 - Until a night that was just too cold, the fire not near enough and the breeze picking up. In a fitful sleep you rolled near him, unconsciously pressing closer to him for any semblance of warmth.

- Hyakkimaru did nothing whilst you curled against him, tucking your face to hide against his chest when the wind picked up it's icy chill.

- It happened more often after that, cold or not, you began to always find him in your sleep, he was a gentle comfort you could hold onto, use for warmth, or just relax against.

- Once he regained feeling he was in shock that night.

- Of course he knew once you began to fall asleep you would lay near him and soon press against him, just as you had been doing for months.

 - But to feel you for the first time, the subtle warmth he could feel coming off you, your hand gently gripping his sleeve during a dream and just barely grazing his upper arm, he froze.

- It would barely be noticeable even if you were awake, but the new sensation sending his poor nerves into overdrive at the slightest contact and you moved further against him, that is the first time he moved while you slept

- tentatively resting his arm over your ribs and he almost shuddered feeling you move closer.

- The change was subtle after that, the ways he would move closer to you. Turning to face you better, his leg against yours, an arm wrapping around your sleeping form and nudging you ever the slightest closer to him.

- He was always pliable when you would move him to lay beside you but now he seemed willing. Craving the bits of contact he would receive while acting as your pillow of sorts.

- Once he gains his hearing, his favorite sound is your quiet breathing beside him while you sleep. It's calm, soothing, the one noise he can focus on without being overwhelmed.

- The first night with hearing was the hardest, you even tried to lay further away not to bother him and it made it even worse, harder without the comfort of you being near him.

- The first time he hears you snore he shifts towards you confused, but is amused once he realizes you're asleep and more importantly okay, he'll stay awake listening to you throughout the night as well.