"Mom" Matt, Mello, Near

Note: I don't mean to make these female only but I've used the word mom for reader

Anime: Death Note

It took time for the boys to really warm up to you. Mello more so than Near, he remembered their mother more after all, how she no longer wanted, and then abandoned them.

Mail Jeevas

Matt took to you right away the first time you met him when you visited Wammy's house, since he'd decided L would be his dad as well once he'd become best friends with Mello, that meant you'd be his mom then, right?

You and L had just walked through the doors with Mello and Near when Matt, (who you instantly recognized with the redish hair and striped shirt, not to mention Mello talking about him so much) ran up to you, barely stopping with a happy shout of

"Hi dad! Hi ma! c'mon Mells I gotta show ya something" before grabbing Mello's hand and dragging him off.

You stood there gripping L's hand tightly and smiling until Near tugged on your shirt and pulled you out of your happy little reverie.

Mihael Keehl

L had been busy working on a case so you decided to take the boys out for the day, and a park that was currently resident to an over-the-top ice cream truck was your surprise destination.

To keep a small surprise you asked Mello and Near to wait at a bench along the sunny park pathway, having clued Matt in on your plan and him gleefully racing ahead of you towards the truck to collect everyone's treats.

You knew you'd done good by Mello alone when his eyes met with the ridiculously fancy, chocolate decorated wonder ready to spill from its' double dipped and sprinkle covered cone.

Wide eyed and filled with wonder as he carefully reaches for the treat "Thanks mom."

You freeze staring at him, chocolate already smeared on his face and a happy smile, when you don't hand him his, Near comes up and takes the other cone from your hand and sits on the bench to eat with his brother.

When Mello notices you're not moving he scowls "What are you looking at-"

It's almost a look of horror that covers his face, ears burning red as soon as he realizes his slip-up, and the look of fondness on your face isn't helping him as he replays his own words in his head.

The hand not holding his ice cream fists in his shirt as tightly as he can, he stares at his feet as tears blur his vision, his tiny form shaking as he tries not to make a sound.

You don't say anything, eyes softening at the poor boy and carefully take the ice cream from his hand and lets go with surprising ease, instead turning to furiously attempting to wipe his onslaught of tears with both hands

Your free hand gently starts to pet his hair and he goes rigid at the contact, sniffling and confused before his cries come back and buries his face against your side while you rub his back.

Nate River

It was when Near was sick, the poor boy had been given a nasty cold from one of the other kids and was miserable.
So you'd decided to stay at Wammy's for a few days, taking residence in L's unoccupied room, to help take care of him.

And if being sick to his stomach wasn't bad enough, it was storming out. Rain pounding against every window and trees flailing in the winds. Storms had terrified Near at night for as long as he could remember.

In the day light they weren't bad, then he could just take some of his toys and sit in the light wherever Mello was.
But he was sick, he couldn't go hide in bed with Mello, but the thunder was so loud, the lightning flashed illuminating the room before plunging it back into darkness.

If his throat hadn't been so sore he would've screamed when he heard his door creaking open a moment after the lightning. Near pulled the blankets up over his head to hide while holding a random stuffy for protection.

"Near? sweetie are you alright?" your soft concerned voice was enough to make him peak out from the blanket

"(Y-y/n)?" his voice sounded like a croak between being raw from his cold and crying.

"Oh baby," taking in the sight of him curled up and terrified you walked over to the bed, Near scooched over to make room for you next to him.

He curled closer to you when the next boom of thunder rattled the building, small hands clinging to your shirt and sobs wracking his body while you tried to comfort him, rubbing his back soothingly and humming quietly.

"Please Mommy," he pleaded desperately "please don't leave us all alone too"

"You-" hiccup "'re not gonna forget us right?" his words shocked you, and your heart broke.

"Sh sh sh" you held him tighter when he started crying harder "It's ok Near, I'm right here. I'm not going to leave you" you pull him up and maneuvered yourself so you both were laying on the bed, hugging the small boy against you while he cried.

"Don't leave" he choked quietly.

It was a short while later and Near seemed to be calmed down, overly worn out now that the storm seemed to finally be passing.