chapter five

Reborn.....to be revived,or regenerated, emotionally or spiritually.

After everything that happened to me, I never thought I would pull through. Be a whole new person all together. Finally get my shit together.

6 months of therapy, 6 months of meditation and yoga excersices to connect with my inner mind.

I felt contented with my progress. I was ready to face my fears.

I was ready to move on with my life. Further my education. Make my family proud.

It's been 7 months since I moved to Nigeria,Lagos to be precised.

I obviously didn't come back with my parents of course. Speaking of education, grandma had me enrolled in one of the schools here in Lagos.

A boarding school.....

She said something about it been better than a day school and I'll be trained to be more independent and confident.

she also added that going to a day school can be dangerous because there are kidnappers lurking around everywhere. But in a boarding school I'll be safer indoors.

Seriously though,I don't get the difference. It's not like I can't be kidnapped in a boarding school either.

I stared at my admission letter and my file which grandma had made for me,filling it with my new details and paperwork. My birth certificate,my passports,and so on.

I was to resume on Monday,today was Sunday. I sighed,looking to the side of my room.

My luggages,my mattress,pillow.i felt like I was going to prison. I laughed humorlessly.

Inside my suitcase were my clothes and already sewn uniform which consisted of a white long sleeved button down shirt with my badge all ready in place,my crimson red pleated skirt and black shoes to top it up.
I also had four house wears which consisted of a blue checkered v-neck gown. For sports,I was going to be given when I get to the school.

In the larger suitcase were my provision's which consisted of cornflakes,golden morn,Coco pops,fresh yo yogurt and so on. My toiletries and washing detergent were kept together with my new inner wears in a blue coloured basket.

Phones,hand dryers and cloth irons weren't allowed though. Not that I need a phone anyway, I didn't even have a friend.

'Marilyn secondary school'. The letter read.

It sounded so foreign coming from my lips. Months ago I would have been thinking about how to get through senior year in Canada and now here I am, changing schools in a totally different country.

Well that's how life goes I guess. You just have to take whatever it throws at you.

Ive been sitting in my room for the past two hours. Pondering on what would happen tommorow.

Will I like it there?, Will I be home sick?.......

Well I was going to be a senior there. But I don't know how the school system works.

Do they have bullies?, Or do they have a queen bee?.........

The thought made me laugh out loud. What school doesn't have all does things.

A knock on my door brought me back out of my reverie.

"Come in" I answered still clutching the letter in my hand.

my grandmother's head poked in through the door before her body followed.
"How are you my dear".

"Am fine ma". I replied,slipping the later back in the file.

"That's good to know. Hope you're ready for tomorrow". She smiled lovingly at me and I returned it.

"Yes I am" I replied briefly glancing at my arranged suitcases ready to be dragged out of my room by tomorrow.

"Good ,good, by the way your cousin Rolake attends the same school so you won't have a problem in mingling".

my cousin?

"Your uncle Sam's daughter" she said reading my confused expression.

Ohhhh. That cousin. I remember seeing pictures of her on my mother's phone.
I have never met her in person though.
It would be nice to meet someone you know in an unfamiliar environment.
I just hope she's nice though.

"Very beautiful and intelligent girl she is,you will love her" she answered my thoughts again.

I smiled at her. She always knew how to read me. I wonder how she does it.
She's even worse than my mother.

" Don't worry you will survive Mo,it's just school not prison" she said voicing my earlier thoughts.

I chuckled. I have been doing that lately. She just gets to me.

"Well you have to go to bed,we have a long day tomorrow". She said,gently patting my head which I made into all back braids today. It tickled my neck slightly. stray braids falling over my shoulder and curling at the tips.

I sighed in relief as she tucked me in and kissed me goodnight. Turning off the lights on her way out.

I closed my eyes,my mind swirling with images of my new school as sleep over took me.