Chapter XLIV

Wherever you go, go with all your heart.

Confucius

"Let's go babe. We have to get our clothes ready for a long drive." I tell Eve.

We start walking to the parking lot terminal and get in the truck. We drive to where Lawrence rented the suburban and drop it off. I ask them to call a taxi to take us back to the hotel and the clerk calls a taxi. After 15 minutes a taxi shows up and we get in to it and I tell the taxi driver to take us the hotel in downtown Dallas.

We get there in about 30 minutes thanks to all the damn traffic on highway 35. Finally there I pay the taxi driver and we go to the Trans Am. I open the door for Evelyn and then close it. I get inside the car and start Jessica up. We drive to my mom's house and get there in about 20 minutes because I took streets instead of the highway. I figured we'd get there faster this way but it was almost the time either way. Once we get to my mom's house we get out and I see the girls outside playing and Ana Luisa outside watching them to be sure that they don't do in to the streets.

"Hey brother! Hey Evelyn!" She says.

We both say hi and I give my little sister a hug and ask where my mom was at and she tells me that she was inside drying our clothes. Eve hugs my sister and we go inside to look for my mom.

"Mom we're here." I yell.

She yells back that she was in the backroom. We go downstairs and head to the backroom. I see her getting our clothes out of the dryer and tell her that it took us a while to get here because of traffic and dropping off the suburban. She says that traffic is horrible at this time since it was lunch time. I agree with her. Eve tells my mom that she doesn't have to fold her clothes. My mom says that it was ok since she needed to do something around the house. Eve goes to help her and I leave the room and go outside with the girls. I sit outside with my sister and ask her what she was doing and she tells me that she was drawing. I look at the picture and she was drawing a dead tree. I tell her that it looked pretty good. She thanks me.

I walk up to the girls and pick Ayeka and flip her over and she tells me to do it again. I flip her again and she laughs. Melfina comes up to me and tells me to flip her. I flip Melfina and she laughs also. I tell the girls that I was going to Mexico and that I would be back in a few days because I was going to see their sister. They ask if they can come and I tell them no because it was going to be a long drive and they would get bored.

"Pero les prometo que cuando regresé de mi siguiente misión las voy a llevar para que le pongan flores a su hermana y su madre." I tell them.

They say ok and continue to play. I go back inside and ask my mom where the ice chest was. She tells me that it was in the back storage. I go outside and go to the back storage and open the door and see all the stuff that was there. I maneuver through everything and get the ice chest and take it out. I lock the door and take it to where the hose was and start to wash it. Once it was clean I put it in the trunk of the car.

"When are we leaving babe?" Eve asks me.

I tell her that we would be leaving around 5pm. And she tells me what we needed for the trip and I tell her nothing because I was going to buy some bottled waters and some sodas for the trip. She tells me ok and we walk inside the house. I tell my mom that we were leaving around 5pm and she tells me that she was going to make some tacos for the road and I tell her not to make anything because we were going to buy some chips and junk food for the trip. She tells me that that wasn't food. And insisted that she was going to make the tacos. I tell her that it was barely noon. She said that she was going to make the dough for the flour tortillas and then make the tacos around four so they can still be warm when we left. I then tell her that I was going to the store to buy whatever I needed for drinks and Eve tells me that she was going to stay with my mom to try and learn how to make flour tortillas. I tell her ok while laughing and she asks me what was so funny.