Chapter LXI

You don't teach morals and ethics and empathy and kindness in the schools. You teach that at home, and children learn by example.

Judy Sheindlin

We reach the ranch, park and go inside the house. Karen greets us and tells us that the girls were perfect angels. There was a knock on the door and Robert comes in and greets me.

"Hola Don Nicholas. Como esta?"

I tell him that I was doing fine and asked him how his family was. He tells me that they were doing great. I ask him how I could help him after I tell him to take a seat on the couch. Jasmine comes into the living room and gives Roberto a glass of Lemonade. Roberto thanks Jasmine and drinks the lemonade. Roberto starts asking me about what the meeting was about this weekend and what tomorrow I had in store for everyone. I tell him that this weekend I would have a town meeting so that everyone can tell me what the town needs and that tomorrow I needed everyone here so that when we go to town. We needed to pick up trucks for the ranch so that they could be used for transport for all the vegetables and all the food and whatever else was going to be used. He nods and says ok and then tells me that everything was fixed while I was gone and that things were installed because one of the ranchers was a plumber also. I tell him that it was a good thing because we need someone like that here. I finally ask him if the builders showed up to measure for the tower that I was building for Lydia's antenna and he tells me that they never came but that it was still early and that they might show up still. I tell him ok and say that he can go home and once the builders show up, I would show them where I needed the tower built and once that is done, then he would be in charge of everything and that while they were building, we were going to Monterrey to get some computer supplies for Lydia.

Roberto agrees to everything I tell him and then tell him that I have a briefcase with close to about 20 million pesos so that the workers that are building the antenna can be paid. I tell him that if they show up while we are gone then he can tell them that they need to get the best lumber so that it can be strong. He acknowledges the orders and tells me that he was going home if there was nothing else. I tell him that he can go home and make sure to tell everyone to meet here at 10 am tomorrow. He says ok, shakes my hand and leaves.

"Dad, I don't want to sound like I'm changing your plans or anything but I don't want to stay behind and see the antenna built. You've been gone too long and I want to spend some time with you. Even if it's for just a week, I want to spend as much time with you as I can. So how about we go to Monterrey Sunday and then when we come back, have the antenna built?" Lydia says while sitting next to me and putting her head on my shoulder while I put my arm around her.

"Sweetie anything that you need. I will do. I guess I was being a little excited with me being here and I guess trying to have things ready before I left, but honestly, it's going to be a while before I leave. So maybe we should stick together and do things one thing at a time." I tell Lydia while stroking her hair.

She says ok and gives me a soft hug, so as to not hurt me.

"Dad. I love you so much! Ever since the day that the blackout happened. I was afraid and not afraid at the same time. If that makes any sense. I was afraid because of what happened and we wondered what happened and what happened to you after you called us. It took you almost three years from that day for you to come back home and I was not afraid because I know that you are tough and you can survive almost anything. So that's why I was afraid and ok knowing that you would be ok. So now that you are back, I just want to spend as much time with you as I can because there's no telling when you will be needed again and you will have to leave." Lydia tells me while squeezing me hard with her hug.