Chapter LXIII

A grateful heart is a beginning of greatness. It is an expression of humility. It is a foundation for the development of such virtues as prayer, faith, courage, contentment, happiness, love, and well-being.

James E. Faust

The following morning I wake up in my bed and Jasmine was curled up in a ball next to me. The twins were between Lydia and Jasmine. I get out of bed and cover up Jasmine and the rest of the girls. I walk to the tech room and say good morning to Eve and Genesis. They both say good morning and Eve tells me that she was scanning all the military bases in the shattered union and tells me which ones had the best firepower and my probability for me to win a war in no time. I thank her and tell her to power down until the sun charges up the batteries running the computer and the house. She says ok and the Tech room goes dark. I tell Genesis that I was going to turn her off and put her outside also to charge. She says ok and I turn off the wrist computer. I go upstairs and Karen was making breakfast.

"I'm sorry about yesterday. I don't know what came over me. I know you miss your wife and your daughter and I know that nothing can replace them but if your AI makes you and the girls happy, then I am happy to see them smile because I have never seen them so happy before." Karen tells me in an apologetic way.

I accept her apology and Josh walks inside the house. "Hey bro, you ready?" Josh asks.

I tell him that I would be ready once breakfast was done and I change. He tells me that it was 830 am and I tell him that I still had time. He tells me that I was cutting it short and I tell him that it wouldn't be the first time. He sits down and I tell Karen that I was going downstairs to change and if she wouldn't mind, that I would be taking whatever she makes in taco form so I could eat on the way into town. She says ok and I go downstairs. I go to my closet and pick out some clothes. Lydia wakes up and asks me where I was going and I tell her that I was going into town to get the trucks and that I would be back in a few hours. She says ok and I give her a kiss on the forehead and tuck her back in and she goes back to sleep. I get changed in the restroom and come out and go back upstairs.

I hear a horn honk and I tell Josh to check who it was. He tells me that it was the van that was going to transport us to town. I go to the cupboard and take out 10000 pesos from the metal bucket that used to hold the coffee in. Karen tells me that when she saw the money the first time, she was afraid because if it ever came up missing, then she would be blamed for it. I tell her that no one would blame her for missing money unless she really stole it. She tells me that she would never do that because we have been good to her. I tell her to not worry about it and she hands me my tacos wrapped in aluminum. I thank her and go outside and tell the van driver that he is early, he tells me that he didn't know where it was, so he left early so he wouldn't miss the time. I tell him that everyone was probably eating breakfast, that was the only reason I could think of for them not being here.

I pick up the wrist computer and leave it on charging mode. The driver, Josh and I talk for about an hour and see all the workers walking down the road towards us. I greet them all and give them instructions on what we were doing today. I tell them that today we were only getting the vehicles and tomorrow was Saturday. And I needed everyone at the ranch by noon so we could hold a town meeting. They all say ok and we all get in the van. I ask the driver how much he was going to charge us for taking us to the Nissan dealership. He told me that he charges by the trip and that it would be $2000 pesos being that it was kind of far. I tell him that I would pay him once we got to the dealership. He says ok and we drive off to town.

Once at the dealership the man that laughed at me walks outside and greets us. I greet him in return and ask him to call out the two people that helped us the day before. He goes back inside and Anita and her coworker come outside. I pay the driver $3000 pesos and he tells me that it was too much. I tell him that it was a tip for driving so far out to get us. He thanks me and gives me his card in case I needed him later on. I take it and tell him that I just might need him later on for a trip to Monterrey. He tells me that it was a long and expensive trip. I ask him how much it was and he tells me that it was close to $10000 pesos. I tell him that I would have the money ready whenever I needed him to take me there. He thanks me and drives off.