Chapter XLVI

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet.

Only through experience of trial and suffering

can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.

Helen Keller

"Babe! Babe!! Wake up!! Nicholas!!!" I hear Evelyn yell.

I wake up startled and ask her what happened. "Babe you were talking in your sleep again. But this time you were talking in Japanese. Do you know Japanese?" She asks.

I reply, "a little, I learned it when I was like 15 or 16. I remember dating this girl named Jennifer and she was Japanese but born in the states. We dated for like a year I think, and when Patsy's boyfriend was poking at me, she would tell me that I should learn Martial arts from her dad and that he would help me control my anger. Well it kind of did, but then I think it didn't because I focused my rage and anger towards Patsy's boyfriend and I hurt him bad. I think she thought it was a mistake to take me to her dad so he could teach me martial arts and help me because she broke up with me but he told me to continue to go to him and keep learning. I went for like maybe three more months and never completed my training. So I don't know. But I don't remember dreaming about anything in Japanese."

She tells me that she understood everything. "You were saying something about steel and completing your training and that you would be a Hitokiri? What is a Hitokiri exactly?" She asks me.

I start thinking and try to remember my Japanese. "I think a Hitokiri if my memory serves me correct is a man that slays or kills. I'm not sure."

I look around and see that first light is out and ask what time it was. She tells me that it was 6:15 am. I tell her to text my mom and to tell her that we are at my grandpa's house and that we will be going on foot to Mexico from here.

"Why can't we drive over there," She asks.

I ask her if she forgot about the gun in the trunk and then she pats her face as if she completely forgot.

"Plus, knowing that maybe some cartel guys were left over, my car is a perfect target for them to try and get, since it was a classic and completely restored."

I get off the car and over to the trailer home that my grandpa built and knock on the door. I can hear him inside the trailer telling me that he was coming. He opens the door and yells my name in surprise and asks, "Nicholas! Cuando llegaste?"

I tell him that we just barely got here, even though we got there like 6 hours ago, I just didn't want to wake him up. He tells me to come in and I tell him that I had to go and get my fiancé.

"Cómo que comprometida?" He asks.

I tell him that the girls proposed to my girlfriend and that she said yes. He asks me if it was too soon to be married again and I told that maybe he was right, but her parents already told me that it was ok and my girls are the ones that proposed, so there was really nothing I could do, since it was basically destiny that happened.

"Nomás dios sabe porque hace las cosas." He tells me.

I shrug and go back to the car and ask Eve to get off. She gets out of the car still texting with my mom and tells me that my mom said that she was glad that we made it to Eagle Pass and that she was going to call her dad later. I tell her ok. We walk to my grandpa's trailer and go inside. He tells me that he was about to make some coffee and asks us if we wanted some, we tell him yes and thank you.

"Vi tu carro afuera y dije pues de quién será el carro ese? No me salí porque dije que al rato se bajan. Cuando agarraste el carro ése?" My grandpa asks.