Chapter LXXXIX

Success depends upon previous preparation, and without such preparation there is sure to be failure.

Confucius

The following morning I get my hiking backpack and head to the armory. I take out my list and grab my things. I grab a dozen instant fire starters. They were about 3 inches long and an inch wide and an inch in depth. I put them inside my small pot. I get a sleeping bag that was already rolled up and grab a small one-person tent. I put the sleeping bag on the side because I was going to strap on last on the outside. I do the same with the tent. I put three changes of clothes at the bottom and then put the pot right on top of them. I put in my first aid kit next to the pot and a hunting knife.

Next, I put in a small can of dehydrated food that was part of the MREs. I put in my water reservoir next to the can and lay a rain jacket right on top to separate my things. Next, went water purifier pills and put in a box of ammunition for the solar pistols. I grab a compass, a solar-powered flashlight, 100 feet of paracord, a magnifying glass, and a small mirror. I grab a wet stone a large flint rod and grab my Sakabato. I put everything that was supposed to go inside the backpack and what didn't fit, I put on the side and back pockets. I tie the sleeping bag at the bottom with the straps and the tent on top with the Sakabato. The backpack weight close to about 50 pounds. So I was surprised that it was so light. I thought that it was going to weight more.

I head over to the computer room and download the maps and the routes that I needed for my travels onto Genesis's memory. I also tell Genesis to download some rock music, some classical music, and some videos of everyone from the computer, once she's downloaded everything I unplug her from the computer and test out the radio signal. Lydia tells me that I was coming in loud and clear. She sees the backpack and asks if I was leaving already and I tell her that I was leaving tomorrow.

"I'm just getting things ready for when I leave, I don't stay too late and let the sun hit me while I am already on my way out," I tell her.

She starts to cry and I tell her, "Don't worry sweetie. Today is all about us. The whole entire family will be my focus today and tonight."

She tells me that she doesn't want me to go and I tell her that it won't be long before we see each other again. She smiles and says that time is going to go by slow and I tell her that for me it will go by really fast because I will be extremely busy. She tells me that she hopes that time goes by fast for her also and I hug her again and tell her that it will.

I grab the solar pistols and put them in the holsters that went around my waist and make sure they don't fall out.

Once everything was ready, I head upstairs and Lydia runs after me and gets in the elevator with me and holds on to my arm.

Once upstairs we go to the house and sit in the living room and I see the twins watching TV. I ask them what they were watching and they tell me that they were watching an old cartoon called Samurai X. I tell them that I loved that cartoon because it was about a wandering samurai that helped people during a time that was meant to be of peace and some parts of Japan, some people still clung to oppressing people.

They look at me and ask if I was going to be like Kenshin and help people out during my travels and I reply, "Sort of. I will help whoever I can, but I can't stay and live in one spot as he does. I need to keep moving and rally up people to fight for their freedom."

I sit between the twins and they each grab my arm and rest their heads on my arms. Lydia watches TV with us and Jasmine comes in from her sword training in the Dojo.

"How was your training?" I ask.

She replies, "It's going well. I think I'm getting way better than what I expected."

I tell her that practicing would perfect her swordsmanship. She nods and says that she was going to shower and then come back. I tell her that we would be here watching TV.

After an hour, Jasmine comes back and sits down on the couch and watches TV with us.

"Dad, I guess you're leaving tomorrow or very soon? I noticed that you had your backpack ready to go." Jasmine tells me.

I reply, "I'm leaving tomorrow morning at first light. But today, I am dedicating the whole day to you four. We can do whatever you all want."

They all vote to watch funny movies and we start watching all the funny movies that we could handle.

It was 11 pm and the twins were completely passed out. I grab the bed from the spare bedroom and bring it to the living room. I lay the girls on the bed, Jasmine and Lydia lay down also. I sit on the couch and watch them go to sleep.

I start to remember the day that I watched my girls be born. Ayeka was first to come out and then Melfina. I remember it like it was yesterday. Zaelia had complications, one of the girls had the umbilical cord wrapped around the neck. I wasn't sure but I think it was Melfina that was in trouble. She was always the one that was always pushed around by Ayeka. Ayeka always pushed around her sister, even when she was in the womb. I remember holding both of them in my arms and I knew that Genesis was going to be in love with her sisters. I knew that she was going to play with them and protect them. The few times that Elizabeth let me take Genesis with me, I always took the twins on a carriage and Genesis always helped me push them. She loved her sisters. I remember one time when Elizabeth was listening to Genesis talking how she played with her sisters, Elizabeth just dismissed her talking and blew her off. I wanted to say something but I rather not fight with her in front of her mother. Elizabeth always hated that I moved on and she hated more the fact that when she told me that nobody would ever be with me because of my scars. I never really believed her Mary loved me even though I had my scars already on me, she didn't care about my scars. Zaelia didn't care about my scars and neither did Evelyn. Those were my three loves and I will always love them and respect them in life or death.

Jasmine and Lydia were my mini-me. Both incredibly smart and with an attitude to boot. I loved them to death and I would do anything for them. I hated that I missed so many firsts and so many birthdays. I hated that I was going away for almost six months, but it was necessary because the asshole that killed millions if not billions of people was still alive and well. He needed to be punished and needs to pay for his crimes. It's been almost 6 years and nobody has done anything to him because only my people including myself knew the truth. I had to take revenge for all those that died. It was my motivation. It was my way...to peace.