Ch 4 - Finding a new normal

Within the first two days of being inside the house for Mujhse Shadi Karoge, her fake excitement had faded and  every few hours, her thumb moved over her fingers, counting days till the weekend to get out of the madhouse. Her so-called 'suitors' who had by then realized that she was already taken and had started trying their luck with the girl contestants, were all kind and caring. There were activities, a lot of attention and a lot of comfort, other than popularity and the obvious prime time screen presence, which would have otherwise kept her happy had she been her previous self, but she wasn't. She was a woman madly in love, unsure of whether she was loved back and unable to figure out if she were. 

She was thankful for Sidharth's intervention and bargaining power which had given her a ray of hope - her messaging rights. Wishing everyone a good night, she went to the washroom attached to the Queen's bedroom. It was 11:30 PM, their usual conversation time. 

[Shehnaaz] Babyyyyyy!!! Kitthe? Dilli kab ka hua final?

[Sidharth] Gadhi. Kya kar rahi thi? Kal niklunga subah. Kaunse launde ke sath flirt karke aa rahi hai?

[Shehnaaz] Shut up kutte! Phans gayi hun yahan pe. Mukke marungi tujhko.

[Sidharth] Haan sahi hai. Udhar papiyaan jhappiyaan de. Mukke mereko maar. Sahi hai. (y) 

[Shehnaaz] Bada kamina hai tu! 

[Sidharth] Gharwalon ko text kar lia?

[Shehnaaz] Nikal gaye woh log wapis. Tera din kaisa gaya?

[Sidharth] Theek thaak. Hospital inaugration ke liye gaya tha Mom ke sath. Fri kab free hoyegi? Main aaun na?

He bit his tongue, winking on the phone deliberately trying to tease her, expecting a sherawali mata  reaction from her. He was setting up a trap which he would hopeful, would attract her to fall into after getting mad, giving her the opportunity of surprising her with a secret date by showing up unexpected. Their first date. 

[Shehnaaz] Tereko koi aur kaam hai toh mat aa. Kal toh 50 baar pooch raha tha, ki thoda jaldi shoot end karwa.  Abhi se mann bhar gaya tera?  Abhi Bigg Boss over ho gaya tera?

He frowned when he read the last sentence. Of course, he had expected and even wanted her to get mad at him to help further the elaborate date plans he had in his mind. The bookings had been made. It was funny how he had to book six tables at the restaurant on the outskirts of the city to ensure privacy and peace. Her last sentence, however, genuinely irked him and despite knowing the perils of instant messaging, he answered back.

[Sidharth]  Parth nahi hun main. Mere sath dont say shit y'll regret.

[Shehnaaz] Flirt main kar rahi hun yahan? Tune kya likha upar? Tu bhad me ja. Tereko apne zaruri kaam karne honge kar. Mere liye splly time nikalne ki zurut nahi hai.

He understood immediately where she was coming from and regretted his last message instantly. They knew each other's stressors very well and he felt guilty of using hers to irk her. He closed his eyes and sighed, almost imagining how she would have thrown the phone and left. And that is what exactly she had done. 

[Sidharth] Ok.

She kept the phone on the rack where she usually kept it with a thud and looked herself in the mirror. She felt angry tears brimming but wiped them before they could spill. Splashing water on her face, she walked out muttering a "Bhad me jaa. Yehi hona tha Sana.."

_______________________________________

On Thursday, she woke up with a pounding headache. Her face was puffy and she could barely put on a fake smile as Baldev took her by her hand and danced to the morning song which was played to wake the contestants. She did not want to indulge. She wanted to sit and cry and cry and get rid of the loneliness that was haunting her since last night. The realization of her love hit her hard last night when the fear of him drifting away suddenly became very real. How would she survive if he decided to move on?