Ch 31 - Got my breath back

Sidharth had been humming to himself since morning, which did not go unnoticed by his mother, who smiled guessing the reason for his happiness . After trying and failing to fall sleep for a considerably long time, he had finally drifted off to sleep with a slight smile once he had spoken to her. He missed her and the feeling  was that of missing someone so much that you keep thinking of them all day long, while being functional but having this haze created in your mind with their thoughts and a pit in your stomach - this feeling was new and intense. He never knew, he could miss someone so anxiously. Even when away from home and his mother, this new kind of constant ache was not there. Being lovesick, wasn't he? 

He had been patient with her, not bothering her too much or constantly checking on her, to give her space. He understood and very well knew how disturbed she was the day she left and though things went smoothly back home, it was a very fast-paced transition and she was juggling with a lot of things and responsibilities. While he ensured that she felt supported from his end by means of him reminding her that he was there, whenever she needed him or his frequent messages reminding her to take care of herself as well, he had resisted the urge to call her several times a day, or keep a tab on her whereabouts. And while thinking of how he had been, he felt this strong sense of surprise. In his past relationships, he would be the one on the loose, while tracking down his partner - a habit which made him lose the other person. But this time, he did not understand what it was - maturity with age or relationships or just plain trust that he knew, she would reach out to him, whenever she could. He did not feel the need to remind her of his presence. The instinct to protect her was overwhelming, but he also knew, she was a fiercely capable and strong woman, who might as well protect him, instead of seeking any protection from her. He was proud of his tiny lioness. 

"Sana se baat hui beta?...Sab theek hai na wahan?", his mother asked him, as he was packing his bags at the dining table. 

"Haan Mom, uski kal ki flight karvai hai Shehbaaz ne...11:30 pe land karegi...", he said with a straight face, but in a really cheerful voice. 

"Chal badhia hai...aur thank God sab theek ho gaya itna jaldi...woh toh us bacchi pe bhagwaan ka aashirwaad hai.. warna...", she was interrupted by the loud ringtone of her phone. 

"Sid, utha ke dekh kiska hai, chashma nahi hai mere paas...", she told him and he read the called ID.

"Shehnaaz ka hai! Lo...", he gave the phone to her.

"Arrey, toh tu utha le na...", she came to take the phone, but asked him anyway.

"Aapke phone pe especially kar rahi hai...mujhe toh kia nahi...aap hi uthao...", he shrugged his shoulders and walked back into his room. 

_____________________________________________________

He was irritated. She did not have the time to call him, but she was separately calling his mother? But, then, it was really sweet of her to be calling his mother and making an extra effort to, h stay connected to her. But wasn't he important enough? No message, no whatsapp? She couldn't have spoken to him before? He took his phone and charger and went out once he was able to shrug her thoughts out of his head. 

His mother was squinting and smiling at the phone screen. With a sigh, he looked around, finally finding her reading glasses on a side table. 

"Ye lo...chashme laga ke dekho..." he thrusted them into her hand.

"Kitni pyaari hai na ye...", she smiled still looking at the phone screen. 

"Haan, haan. Bohot hi pyaari hai...", he smirked, his voice dripping in sarcasm.