Ch 42 - Magar, chupke chupke

"Phone kyun nahi lag raha iska" she muttered to herself. Her leg was shaking furiously as she waited in the green room. In ten minutes, it was going to be her performance and she really wanted to hear his voice. It was like a good omen - talking to him and somewhere her heart believed that she would not be able to perform without his best of luck. Closing her eyes, she took a deep breath to calm herself down, but her leg just won't stop bouncing. 

"Babydoll, Sidharth ka phone hai" Ken rushed to her with a sense of urgency and her face lit up at his name. 

"Main le rahi hun do minute ke liye...." she told him and of course, did not need to ask - he was Ken after all. 

"Jaldi karna please" he begged and went out to give her a minute.

"Mujhe nahi baat karna tujhse...mujhse nahi hoga" she frowned with a pout.

"Chamat lagega abhi...bakwas mat kar. Meri superstar hai tu sabse accha karegi...costume dikha, kitti hot lag rahi hai tu baby! Laundon ki line lag jani hai aaj toh!" he squealed, trying to get her energy levels up, but the frown was a little more stubborn than he had expected it to be. 

"Sorry bol pehle" she demanded, biting her lip.

"Sorry...lipstick mat kha baby! Sorry, abhi smile karo jaldi se...bohot accha karogi tum" he had a wide grin on his face and in a moment, her eyes reflected his.

"Tu dekhega na?" she asked. The beats reverberating around her and the hustle-bustle outside the green room was an indication of the fact that she had less than five minutes now.

"Aur kya fir! Maine isiliye toh Ken ke phone pe call kar raha tha na baby! Abhi chal...sshh... ja! All the very best meri superstar. Just be yourself. Tujhse behtar koi hai hi na...Aur ye performance tu bas mere liye de rahi hai...yaad rakhna!" he said, looking at her with a serious expression on his face. He was dying to hold her in person and wish her luck but managed to do the best he could. 

"I love you bebu" she said, with a grin and 

"I love you loads..." he said and before he could say anything further, the phone was snatched away by Ken.

"Sorry Sid bhai, main aapko video call karta hun wapis" and he pulled Shehnaz out.

"Chal! less than 5 minutes left" and they rushed to the technician for a final mic check. 

_________________________________________________

Sidharth and Aunty sat captivated in the entertainment room where Shehnaaz's performance was being streamed on the television. She sang veham solo and performed with Tony on Kurta Pyjama and Keh Gayi Sorry with Jassie. However, the audience could not get enough of her and as she sat in the green room, sipping water right after the performance, the organizers approached her with a special request.

"We know, hamara agreement bas 3 performances ka hi tha....and we understand that aap ab tired hoge. But hum aapse bohot sincerely request karte hain, kya aap please ek performance aur de sakte ho? Bas ek? The audience is going crazy and we have increased the seating capacity last minute, toh a lot of people have joined us last minute, agar aap..." the woman requested, sitting with folded hands, almost.

"Arre, aap please aise mat request karo....aap log itna accha kaam kar rahe ho ye charity event karke! Main ga dungi, koi chakkar nahi...5 minute rok sakte ho bas? main song select karke ek chota rehearsal kar lun?" she responded politely. 

"Of course! OMG! Aap itne sweet kaise ho Shehnaaz!" the female organiser was Shreya Malhotra, a 30 year old woman who was running the NGO which had organised the event. She could not help but pull Shehnaz into a hug. Giggling, Shehnaz hugged her back.