Ch 19 - Unlocking

The lockdown started as a shock to everyone but then everyone adapted to the new indoors life, followed by a block of boring days and then a sense of permanence.

This was the time when they lived with each other not in a secluded world of their own, but as a unit together, with his mother chopping vegetables with her and him pulling her leg with her brother on the video call.

This was the time, when they were not being a couple in their honeymoon phase exploring each other's bodies, but two best friends turned lovers who were finding out how they were in their natural habitat. And of course, there were nights which they spent snuggled with each other, on days, just sleeping next to each other, on some talking about the interesting and the mundane and on the others, stealing passionate or affectionate kisses in the middle of the night.

Tonight was going to be their last night together since tomorrow morning, the lockdown was going to be lifted after the sunrise and in the evening Shehbaaz and some of her essentials from Punjab in were due to arrive via cargo.

She was waiting for him to sneak in, like all these other nights. Her heart was heavy today as she looked out of the window at the dark sky. Of course, she was just going to be three floors away from him but she felt scared and insecure.

She had Sidharth's arm under her head, his bear hugs warding off all her fears and his non-committal but assuring kisses on her forehead all this while. She knew she was doomed now - living without him was going to be hell difficult and closed her eyes to that thought, as if doing that would change the situation and make him stay with her forever.

With the lockdown and everything having being out on hold, she had forgotten her confusion and the tricky situation they were in. Taking everyday one day at a time, insulated in her own cocoon with him, she had forgotten the world they were ultimately going to have to brave.

Sure, Sidharth had told her that he loved her, but thereafter, other than those infrequent yet, passionate lip kisses, nothing much had changed between them. He never said it to her again, however much she prompted him to say it back. They were not confronted actively on their relationship status - of course, whenever they were asked on social media, but they chose to snub it off - something which wouldn't be continuing when they merge with the world outside.

Sidharth had let his presence slip away at those one or two random instances, but their stance remained the same - of being friends and staying mum. Sure, she loved him enough to wait out for him but she did not understand what exactly they were waiting out for.

She heard the door creak and then close and then the bed besides her dip with his weight.
Out of habit, he lay his arm out for her and without even turning her head towards him, she placed her head on his arm, scooting closer to her. Covering them both with the blanket, he wrapped his free arm around her waist, spooning her closer. She sighed and brought his palm near her lips to press a kiss.

When she did not speak for a whole minute, he placed his leg on her, pulling her lower body closer.

"Mmm...shehnaaz...", he called out.

Her heart was beating fast. This feeling of knowing that she will not be spending these nights in his close proximity from tomorrow night killed her. He was like the air she needed to breathe in.

As soon as that tear dropped from the corner of her eye and her breath pitched, she entwined her fingers into his, her eyes closed tightly in an attempt to not cry but a tear escaped.

Sidharth leaned over to have a look at her face and saw the tear drop down her nose. Wordlessly, he rolled her over and humming a random song and crashed her down to his chest.

"Bas...bas...bas...", He said, having pulled her further on top of him, wrapping both his legs around her.

"Mujhko tere bina neend bhi nahi aati...",she whispered, her hands tightly around his neck.

"Call kar liyo phir...aa jaunga na main...gadhi, idhar se upar hi toh jaa rahi hai...and half of the time we will be at each other's place na...", he mumbled.

That night, no more words were said and the two of them, were tightly wrapped in each other's arms. She did not let his hand leave her, held one of them close to her chest. And his legs sandwiched one of hers to ensure that there was no space between the two of them.

He watched her breath move her body gently, but could not get himself to move away as he would generally do. He would terribly miss the warmth, the late night banters, her head on his arm and her gentle and sneaky kisses, when he would lay very still, making her believe that she was asleep. Having her at home had added a charm to their lives and he secretly wished they were locked down together for life.

He snapped out of the thought immediately. What did he just wish for? :)

-------------------------------------

Next morning, when Sana woke up, her body felt heavy. Groggily, she looked down to see herself and found his leg still on top of her. Panicked, she shook him to wake him up - "Sidharth... subah ho gayi... shit Aunty kya sochengi ..."

He woke up quickly and then saw his water bottle on the bed side, which was not there last night. His mother knew all this while. He took a deep breath in, kissed her forehead - "kuch nahi...main handle kar lunga...tu ready hoke aa jana.."

He went out of the room to find his mother in the balcony with her cup of tea.

"Mummy wo..", he mumbled, settling down next to her.

"Neend aai acche se ?...", she smiled.

He looked at her in amazement. It was not just him, his mother seemingly, had also changed.