Ch 56 - Rejoice!

Sidharth had left for his shoot but had, as usual, left a message for her which she saw afternoon-ish, upon waking up.

[Sidharth] Left for shoot. Neeche chale jana. Mom wait karegi lunch pe. Upset hai tere raat ki zid se. Even if wo nahi bulaye, khud se chale jana.

[Shehnaaz] Ok. Best of luck.

She wrote and kept the phone aside. Taking a deep breath, she rushed to the bathroom to freshen up. Pulling on a loose t-shirt and sweatpants, she went to the kitchen, eyeing the clock at the same time. Ritu had made a brown bread paneer sandwich and some Horlicks for her as per the dietician's revised chart but she was too nervous to eat. Grabbing the cup of lukewarm Horlicks milk, she walked to the balcony with her phone.

Keeping her phone on her lap, she took a deep breath and closed her eyes. The last one year of her life gave her things that she could have never imagined – love, so much of love and adoration from people of all walks of life, work, recognition but most importantly, the love of her life. What she had with Sidharth was the most precious thing that she had ever had or possibly could have ever had in life and she wanted to protect it at all costs and cherish it for a lifetime.And the best part was the fact that this love brought it with a family that had knitted its weave around her without a 'reason' to such warmth – the truest form of love.

She felt less stressed as she though of all that life had given her in these years and happily sipped away the rest of her drink and then she received the phonecall that she had been asked to wait for. The one, which she was waiting to receive and avoid at the same time was finally there.

___________________________________________________

Ma was excited for the fact that her daughter was moving back home with her family. This was something that she hadn't even dreamt of in years. Preeti was settled in Dubai and the next possible move of theirs was supposed to be either Singapore or Europe but the sudden change in plans filled her heart with unbound joy. It would feel like their home again – having Preeti & Co around and home on weekends.

However, with Sana behaving strange since dinner had dampened her mood to a large extent. She had never been so obstinate about going home. She wanted Sana to stay the night, talk and plan with her. She wanted her newest daughter to be a part of the celebrations like family but Sana had insisted more than she ever had the very hour and left back for home. Ma wasn't sure of what it was. Did she not want Preeti to move back home, Ma wondered and her heart sank at the thought of it. Her heart did not agree with the thought, but then what else could it be.

Ma had prepared moong dal, brown rice and cabbage for lunch – keeping in mind her dietician's note a copy of which was hung on the fridge, next to Sid's diet chart. But today, she had decided not to call her to ask if she wanted to come down for lunch or even to meet. If she wanted space, Ma was happy to give her some, Ma thought and sat down with the book that she was reading. She must have read five pages when the doorbell rang. Ritu opened the door and went back to the kitchen. She came in quietly, with no smile on her face, but watery and red eyes. Ma kept her book down and looked at her as she came close to her and sat down on the carpet.

"Sana? Beta kya hua?" Ma asked her alarmed. She broke into a smile, and then a frown.

"Mereko sabse pehle Sidharth ko batana tha, but aap toh uski bhi Mom ho. Toh sabse pehle aapko batana chaiye..." she spoke, her voice breaking as she held her hands between her. Ma was worried, but she let her speak.

"Ma...Who movie thi na, Diljit ke sath...jisko leke mera aur Sidharth ka jhagda hua tha? Uske dates aa gaye. Shooting Canada me hai. Un logo ne Visa wagairah ka bhi kar rakha tha, Friday ko nikalna hai. 6 din me..." she said, with a wide smile yet teary eyes.