Ch 36 - Meher

The next few days went peacefully. Sana's hand felt better, the incision had dried and closed up and she no longer needed to bandage it all the time. Also, the scarring was minimal, thanks to the meticulous Dr. Chandiok. Eventually she had shifted back to her flat, but Aunty was not too happy with it.

"Aunty, main kaunsa Punjab chali gayi...upar hi toh hun, roz aati hun...!", Shehnaaz laughed.

"Rehne de Sana beta...bacche selfish hi hote hain...tu aur ruk sakti thi na yahin par...", Aunty had a disappointed look on her face and Sidharth was pretty amused by their conversation early in the morning.

"Mom, rent deti hai na who upar wale ghar ka...", he chuckled, only to receive a glare from his mother.

"Toh mujhe de de rent, aur yahin ruk ja...", she proposed with all seriousness, making him laugh all the more. Shehnaaz looked at him with a pout for support.

"Woh toh ab aap late ho gaye ho, jab hum ghar dhund rahe they, toh bolna tha na...thoda extra income bhi ho jata....chalo abhi drama band karo aap dono...kya yaar kahan se chun chunke log bheje hain bhagwan ne life me, matlab..." he rubbed his face in amusement and frustration.

____________________________________________

They had a secret family zoom call at 11:30 PM and Shehnaaz was now formally an honorary Shukla family member. The reason for the same was not disclosed and the person leading the call was Preeti Di. At 11:15 pm, Sidharth called Shehnaaz in utter irritation – "Abbey, mereko nahi aa raha hai Zoom call chalana...main aa raha hun upar, tu join kar". He had come back home from hers just half an hour back, but regretted not staying back for the call.

"Toh neeche gaya hi kyun tha 10 baje? Ab Aunty ko kya bolega?...", she was worried.

"So gayi teri Aunty, Aunty ki chamchi..." he mocked her.

"Tu aa upar, batata hun tujhko", she threatened him.

The door was unlocked for him and he went straight ahead to her room. She had already joined and was merrily chatting away with Preeti Di. He casually came in and instead of sitting on the side of the bed which was empty, sat down partially on her, making her yelp.

"PAGAL HAI TU?...OUU...", she pushed him and made space for him.

"Sorry, sorry lagi tujhe?...", he asked sweetly, though he knew what he had done.

"Oh hello? Tum dono ka ho gaya? Yahan 5 log aur hain call mein!", they heard Preeti di interject.

"Helloooo!" Sidharth cooed, seeing all his cousins, nieces and nephews sitting together. Shehnaaz could not help but notice the change in energy level of the whole family as he interacted with each one of them. He knew exactly what was happening in whose life, what class each little one was in and effortlessly made everyone laugh with their inside jokes. She kept smiling all through, looking at his video on her phone screen and even stole glances sideways to catch him be the thorough family man that he was.

"Accha wait, wait, wait...abhi, everyone, please say hi to hamari to-be Bhabhi/mami...Shehnaaz"¸ Preeti Di introduced Shehnaaz to the family group formally, though they were talking before Sidharth joined in. Both of them turned red and Sidharth groaned. Little Riddhi and Yash even exclaimed "Mami!! Wowww!" and Sidharth facepalmed to hide his blush.

"Accha, agar sharmana ho gaya ho toh agenda pe aate hain...So, next Friday is Mummy ka birthday! Toh uske liye hum sab milke kya special karenge?..." Preeti Di reminded.

"Aunty ka birthday!!! Wow!...tune bataya bhi nahi", Shehnaaz exclaimed and then mumbled angrily to Sidharth.

"Haan, monthly reminder laga ke ghumun ab tere liye?...", he replied.