Day One

➛ March 12th, 2020 

I was awake before my alarm went off at 6am. The forecast last night predicted an awesome day for skiing and I wasn't going to waste a single moment. My Mom and I ate breakfast at 7am. We were sharing a condo with six other adults but we were really the only ones dedicated to every minute of living on the slopes. By the time they were moving, my Mom and I were dressing in our ski clothes and out the door.

The bus came through at 8:30am and the ski lifts opened at 9am. I simply couldn't believe that I was actually in Killington, Vermont. After all my dreaming, I was here. Skiing the Beast of the East! My breath was constantly stolen by the beauty of the mountains and the trails we could ski down. It felt like a dream...but such a perfect reality. 

After seven hours of skiing, my Mom and I returned to the condo. I was just peeling off my clothes when I received the best news of my life. I didn't have to return to college after Spring Break! As a commuter, it instantly relieved my winter driving stress. 

Nonetheless, my University was requesting that students do not return from Spring Break because of the COVID-19 outbreak. It was a state of emergency declaration and to be honest, while I was in Killington, I hardly payed attention to what was happening in the world. 

Yet, with the news of my University closing down...that meant no exams on Monday. That meant I didn't have to stress about studying in the evenings after skiing anymore. I felt homefree. My Spring Break just became the best one ever. 

Or so I thought.