Chapter 23

So once again we headed to the hospital. My mother, father and Chris were there but no sign of Cara.

I briefly said hello then went into see Nan, she was sleeping so I sat in a chair again, holding her hand.

I sat awhile when I heard the door open. I glanced over my shoulder to see my father enter the room. I felt my stomach drop.

"Where were you last night?" He asked.

"Matt's." Oh god, I probably should have lied.

"You were at Matt's. No wonder your sister is such a mess." He glared at me. "Are you sleeping with him?"

"God no, I just stayed there."

I needed to pick my words carefully.

"You couldn't let your sister be happy could you, you dirty little slut."

Regardless of what I said I was now sleeping with Matt, nothing would change his mind.

"It's the only way you could possibly get anyone to like you."

He always had a way of boosting my confidence.

I felt Nanna squeeze my hand and I looked at her.

"Nan." I whispered, leaning over and kissing her cheek.

She smiled at me, although one half of her mouth didn't respond. She opened her mouth but no words came out and I felt a tear slide down my cheek.

"We are not finished." My father hissed before leaving the room.

Oh I bet we weren't.

I ignored him and concentrated on Nanna. She reached up with her good hand and touched my bruised cheek.

"I got clumsy again Nan." I whispered.

This time a tear slid down her cheek.

"I'm okay Nan, it's okay."

I could tell by the look in her eye's that she didn't believe a word I said.

"You need to concentrate on getting better, I'll look after myself okay."

The door opened again.

"You okay?" Matt asked.

I refused to look at him. "Yeah."

"Oh hey hi." He said walking over to the bed, addressing Nan.

She gave him her half smile.

"We were just talking." I told him.

"Good." He replied, placing his hand on my shoulder.

I inwardly groaned. Did he have to?

I looked at Nan and I am 100% positive she winked at me.

Why was everyone winking at me?

Matt ended up dragging another chair over and sat talking with Nanna and I.

I'd be lying if I said it wasn't nice and for a moment I let myself daydream about being Matt's girlfriend.

Who the hell was I kidding, that was never going to happen.

Ever.