Chapter 31

I was sitting at the kitchen bench attempting to eat a bowl of cereal while Matt was showering when my phone rang.

I glanced at the caller id. It was my mother and I sat there for a moment contemplating whether to answer it or not.

I decided to answer.

"Hello."

"Bella honey, how are you?"

Honey?????

"How do you think I am?" I asked.

"I know, it's hard." She said.

Hard couldn't begin to describe it.

"What can I do for you?" I knew I sounded rude, but what did she expect?

"We're having a quiet lunch today, just to talk about Nanna, remember her, and I'd like you to come." She told me.

Lunch, with my family?

"I don't know that I feel up to it."

"I'd like you to come Isabella." She said quietly.

I sighed. "Okay, I'll be there."

"Good. I'll see you when you get here."

She hung up and I looked at my phone. I didn't want to have lunch with my family, it was the last thing I needed right now.

"Who was that?" Matt asked, walking in.

"My mom." I said turning around and looking at him. Oh good lord, he was standing there in a pair of shorts and nothing else and he looked absolutely divine.

Get a grip Isabella, I mentally scolded myself.

"And?" He asked.

"She wants me to go over for lunch." I told him.

He walked over and sat next to me and I tried not to stare at his bare chest.

"Are you going?"

I groaned. "I said I would."

"Okay." He said. "What time do we have to be there?"

"We?" I asked.

"I'm not letting you go there alone."

"Oh thank you Matt." I felt relieved.

"Now eat." He said pointing at my bowl of cereal.

I sat there, making myself eat and watching him. He'd gotten up and was making toast and I had a sudden urge to walk up behind him and wrap my arms around him.

"What?" He asked, turning around.

Crap, I'd been busted staring at him.

"I don't know, I'm just thinking." I told him. I didn't add that I was thinking about him, and his half nakedness.

"About what?"

"Oh you know, just how lucky I am to have you, how good your being to me."

He chuckled and looked at me.

"That's what friends are for Izzy."

The way he'd said that, it sounded so sarcastic and I didn't understand what was wrong with him.

"Uh yeah." I answered quickly, looking at my bowl.

"Go Izzy, get ready, looking at your breakfast isn't going to help and your obviously not going to eat it."

Why was he suddenly speaking like this?

I stood up and put my bowl on the sink.

"Your right."

I went and got in the shower, thinking.

What was wrong with Matt?

Was he regretting offering me support?

By the time I got out I was a mess again. I now had to go and face my family and Matt was angry at me.

I couldn't please anybody and my day was going to get worse.

As I was getting dressed I said a silent prayer, asking that this lunch go okay, that there would be no drama, I didn't want drama.

Oh no drama, I thought to myself, ten minutes ago you were drooling over your half naked friend.

I groaned. God, I was falling for Matt and as much as I wanted too, I couldn't stop myself.

What the hell was I going to do?