Chapter 19

(A/N) : This chapter will be another long one. Also, a very subtle bonding moment between (Y/N) and Tanner.

Tanner

"No, you're not just going to let her do that FBI interview by herself." Adam was clearly pissed on the other end of the call. "Go back there, and find a way to listen in."

"Adam... (Y/N) isn't our usual cup of tea." I began to turn my car around. "She's quite stubborn, but brave. I think that if it had not been for us needing her, she'd be dead by now."

Then, I added, "Plus, she has a friend over at the moment, I'll have to wait and catch her on the way out."

Adam sighed. "She must be pretty desperate."

"And determined." I toyed around with my scalpel. "She knows what she's doing is fucked up. Helping people like us."

"Does (Y/N) have any neighbors?" Adam questioned.

"No. She lives in a small home with nothing but trees and woods around." I replied, putting the knife away and smiling, feeling happy with our progress.

"Then just keep a good distance from her house, and when her friend leaves, make sure you catch her before she goes to the interview." Adam ordered. "If she has no neighbors, nobody will get suspicious."

I nodded, his plan making sense. "Understood." Then, with a short pause, I added, "Do you think she'll report us, though? You said yourself that she was desperate enough to take the deal."

"Better safe than sorry." Adam grumbled, and then he hung up.

----------------------

(Y/N)

"I have to go on a business trip." Olivia murmured as she held me close to her on the couch.

When she had walked into my house, she found me crying on the floor in my empty bedroom, no clothes on. Considering how I promised Adam I would keep them a secret, I lied to her and told her I had a nightmare about finding Riley in my old room again.

Now, after I changed into some black leggings and a sweater, she held me, her warmth giving me comfort, and I was not looking forward to whatever was bound to happen after she leaves.

I looked up at her, heart sinking. "What? Why?" I asked, voice small.

Olivia looked really guilty. "Well, you know how big of a job I have, and my boss called me when I woke up this morning, and she told me I had to go, because I have a lot of customers and suppliers that want to meet up with me." She stopped for a moment, brushing her fingers through my hair. "And we have to visit a project site for evaluation."

I sighed, nerves coming back. I won't have a good friend here with me, but it's probably for the best, considering I'm going to be watched by Tanner, and if the killer wants me, things are probably going to take a turn for the worst.

She doesn't need to know any of this.

So, I didn't complain, instead I just asked her a simple question. "How long are you going to be gone?"

"I don't know." She said with an apologetic shrug. "But the reason I'm not really worried, is because you have someone who can take care of you while I'm gone.

My heart jumped, confused by what she meant. Olivia must have noticed my confusion, so she elaborated, a smile on her face. "That FBI agent."

"Oh." I hid the relief on my face, but then I furrowed my brows, even more confused. "But what makes you think he has time to watch me?"