Chapter Sixteen

Straight after school, I sprinted to Zoe who was waiting in the car.

"What happened today?" her face looked upset.

"Someone pushed a girl in a wheelchair down a hill, and might of killed her. I was so angry, that I punched her..." I trailed off at the end, very guilty of what I did.

"Oh Peppa!" Zoe pulled me into a hug, which surprised me. "Anger got the best of you, huh?"

I nodded slowly "I'm so sorry Zoe. You're probably going to send me back, aren't you?"

"What?! Don't be so silly! Of course we're not darling!" She kissed my cheek. "You will have to so some chores around the house though, it is only fair."

"Yes, sorry Zoe." I sigh "but, before we go home, do you think we could visit my friend in hospital?"

"Of course." Zoe turns around in her car and heads to the hospital.

As we arrived, the eerie silence hit me. The smell of cleanliness was all I could take in and the sound of distant machines and people were ringing in my ears. I hated hospitals.

"Could we please see Ashlyn please?" Zoe asks the front desk last politely. The lady tells us the room and we set off for the stairs, because I don't like lifts.

As soon as we reached her room, there was a sign saying 'In A Coma'. Alyssa had put her in a coma? At least she wasn't dead. Yet.

We stepped in and I saw Ashlyn lying completely still with 'get well soon' cards and teddies all around her. She was attached to a machine that beeped every time her heart had a beat.

Zoe and I sat around her on the chairs and a young blonde woman came in. "She's only just making it." she tells us with a sigh.

"So you're not sure whether she will?" I say in barely a whisper.

The woman shakes her head. "Only time will tell with these sorts of things." and then she left.

As soon as the nurse left, Ashlyn's heartbeat decided to go a little quicker. This didn't bother us because it was only slightly, but then it kept increasing. Her heartbeat beeping every second.

It just kept going.

Beep beep beep beep beep.

Zoe obviously got panicked too, and she called the nurse back quickly. The nurse began to worry too, giving her all sorts of drugs to make it slow down.

This seemed to work, because as Ashlyn's heartbeat climaxed, it stopped for a few seconds, made on last beat, and was gone.

"Ashlyn, no. Please Ashlyn, wake up. Please." I whisper in her ear. I repeat it over and over until I could do no more.

Ashlyn was dead, and there was nothing anyone could do.

"I'm so sorry." The nurse tells us. Zoe nods and leads me out of the room. Silent tears streamed down my face as we head to the door, but then something crazy happened.

Beep.

What?

Beep.

Ashlyn?

Beep.

Oh My God!

Beep. beep. beep. beep.

She's alive!

_________
YYAYA! Ashlyn's alive. Sorry it was so short, I wanted to update before school! thanks for reading x