Chapter Eighty

Logan

Ever since I'd found out about the whereabouts of the Rising Dawn Alpha and his entourage, Yarah had thrust Whitt full pelt into training and I hardly got to see her anymore. Elena was looking after the Rising Dawn pack, but I had no idea if that meant they were coming home or if they had decided to stay for longer.

For the past couple of days I had managed to gather up the surrounding packs and convince them that we needed to take action now. I'd ordered Misty and Rae to get to work with building the pack defensive, Misty had suggested building a wall like the Rising Dawn pack. "And what happens when you realise that the moon goddess is a goddess and she can do whatever she damn well pleases?" I'd countered her.

It turned out that the solution was already in Yarah's head, any witch that they could spare would be sent to each respective pack. Elena offered to help with the witches in her own pack too, the more supernatural muscle we had, the better. All around, the rest of my pack had no idea what was going on, and yet we were building a shield of protection all around it. I didn't want to cause any unnecessary panic, not if we could end this before it was to begin.

I was walking through the house, remembering when times were easier, when all I had to worry about was my training with Basker and Misty. How times had changed. My eyes travelled over to the stairs, I thought back to when I had seen Emily walk down them, the night of the Halloween party, all dressed in red. It wasn't the same kind of memory anymore, back then I looked at Emily with lust, with want... Now, she was a good friend to me and I couldn't even let myself think of her in that way.

My head was filled with Whitt, with her raven back hair and her emerald green eyes. She was my mate, she was my Luna and she was currently so far away from me I found it hard to breathe. Soon all of this would be over, soon we could have the life we were meant to have together and she would always be by my side.

I wandered past my office, but paused instantly when I noticed something strange. The old chipped wooden door, which crumbled more with each shut off the door, was slightly open. It wasn't noticeable enough that someone would walk by and take a second look. But that was my office, and I knew it well enough. The lights seemed to be off because there was no light coming from the room, had I forgotten to close it?

I never forget.

I walked closer and pushed the door with my knuckles, opening it further. "Hello?" I called out into the inky blackness that greeted me. There was no reply. "You know this office is out of bounds for anyone that doesn't have personal authority to enter?" Still no reply...

Maybe I was just spooked out about the whole Dom and moon goddess/ end of the world situation, but my hairs stood on the back of my neck and they refused to go down. Something wasn't right in here.

I took a step onto the wooden floor and leaned forward ready to shift in a heartbeat. "I'm warning you, as soon as I let my wolf out, you've had it if you don't come out now." Silence. My teeth pulled back and I prepared to let out a spine chilling growl, it never came though. My voice was locked in my throat and I couldn't find the words to describe what I was seeing. I blinked away tears, the liquid running down my cheeks and falling into the hard floor. I took a shaking breath and tried to regulate my breathing.

"Father?"

Standing behind my desk, gazing into the dark and unlit fireplace was a transparent and blue tinged version of my father. "What... what are you...? how are you...?" None of the words I was saying sounded right as soon as they had left my tongue and no I never finished those sentences. I shoved my hands on top of my eyes and rubbed furiously, but when I opened them, he was still there. "Okay, this is a bad dream then, definitely a bad dream." A throat cleared and it took me a minute to realise that he could see me and that he had moved, since he was now looking directly at me.

"You can see me?" He asked, surprise lighting up his morbid features. " my mouth opened and closed like a fish but I didn't say anything. I wanted to run from the room and run to him all at the same time, but I was rooted to the spot. "I have been hanging around here for months and I never got the impression that you could sense I was here." Months? He'd been here for that long? He'd been in my office like this, for months?

I tried to remember any time that I could've felt weird, or like I was being watched but I wasn't getting anything. Then...

Oh

My

Gosh.

"Did you see when Whitt was hanging around in here?"

The apparition shook his head from left to right like one huge 'no'. Thank the gods for that! That wasn't something my father needed to see.

"I'm not sure how you can see me, but now that you can hear me, I need you to know everything..." I held my hands up, "I already know everything father, I know about the dark witches and about your secret tunnels. I know about the moon goddess and about Dominick." His ghostly figure moved around the desk and hovered towards me. There was a faint mist following him that left a trail wherever he went, it reminded me that he wasn't actually here. He wasn't living.

"You think you know everything, but there are some things that even Yarah and her witches are keeping from you Logan." He stopped about a foot away from me, "if you had known, you would've never let her go." Let who go? Whitt? What was he talking about? She had to go. Yarah said she had to go.

"Whitney is a weapon. Jessie Elio is such a powerful weapon, Logan. She's a grenade, the last resort." We already knew this, "Yarah told us all of this..." I tried to explain to him. His face changed and he looked upset. "She was never meant to come back from the fight. There is no "we" after this, Logan." I started to pace, this couldn't be what I thought he was implying... had the moon goddess been right all along? Were they using my mate?

"She's a powerhouse and that means that she's a perfect channel for energy. Whitney is being sent to her death and she has no idea..."