Chapter Seventy Eight

Whitt

"Again!" Yarah yelled from across the far side of the cave. I looked down at my shaking hands, the blue flashes of lightning tendrils were fading like a dying light. "I don't think I have much left." I told her, struggling to hold myself together. Today had been brutal.

From the moment I left the Midnight Moon pack, I was rushed into work with the Nordic witches. I thought that the coven at my brother's pack was big, but it was nothing compared to the size of Yarah's coven. First I was shown how to channel my energy, I'd learnt something similar when I had first been introduced to the witches I lived alongside. Elena told me about magic vibrations, how to see the invisible force like soundwaves and how to channel and use that to manipulate my magic.

As long as I could always see the waves, I would know my magic was being channelled into the right direction. It was harder with electricity, my lighting was hardly ever co-operative. It seemed to be the main source of my power and yet it was the most uncontrollable part too. I could shoot a target as accurate and straight as possible and shocks would still fly off into other directions and destroy the things around it.

It was unpredictable.

It was also the only thing Yarah wanted me to use.

"Again!" She yelled. Sweat was beading on my head, clinging to the stay hairs that had fallen from my hair tie. "I breathed in through my nose and thrust my hands out in front of me, sparks of lighting hitting every surface but the intended target. "If you don't concentrate, you're going to kill everyone that does the spell with you." My head snapped straight to her, "you don't think I know that! You don't think I'm terrified of messing this up?"

She snapped her fingers and a huge tornado of swirling blue flame lifted me into the air and tossed me around. "Fight it." She tried again. I screamed, closing my eyes and struggling to stay upright. Exhausted and feeling like the invisible flames were biting at my skin, I shouted back "I can't! I'm exhausted! I can't!" My tumbling around in the miniature tornado didn't cease. I was tried, I was frustrated and the more I had to deal with a Yarah's torment and games, the more I wanted to murder her myself.

I felt a buzzing in my fingertips and soon it was accompanied by an overpowering static sound running through my head. At first I thought it was coming from Yarah's powers, but the closer I listened, the more I realised it wasn't a noise at all. It was me... it was my powers forming some kind of protective bubble around me.

The buzzing from my fingertips suddenly shot through my body like a firework, I felt the burning in my veins as every part of me was engulfed. My eyes opened and a ray of blue electrical current flew like an arrow across the room towards Yarah. Her eyes opened wide and she just about managed to jump to the side before I ripped a hole through the cave wall above her.

I closed my eyes again and looked at my feet, too nervous to look at any of the other women here in case I accidentally did that to them too. "That was good. But it wasn't what we needed." Yarah's words stung. She walked towards me, but I noticed the hesitation and nervousness in her steps. Her hands were held up slightly and her voice was softer. "What we need is that... but internally and focused just inside you."

I slowly lifted my eyes, not wanting to hurt anyone. "How can I channel in internally if I don't even know how to keep it contained outside?" Yarah tapped her finger on her chin, "your magic is a lot more powerful than ours. You're a descendant of the Sun God too you know? It's why your main source of power is elemental." I had considered that maybe that was a big reason they had wanted me in the first place.

"The reason for all of this is because we are trying to channel the opening of a portal. If we're going to defeat the moon goddess, we need to channel energy that's powerful enough to travel time." I was following right up until that last point, now I was lost. "Why do we need to travel time?" Yarah's face burst into a smile, "we can't travel time, that's impossible. We're using time as a source of power and that's precisely why we needed you. You're like a powerful bridge of energy and you can channel all of our ancestral magic, even then it might not be enough, but at least then we stand a chance."

So I was doing all of this and it might not even be enough to defeat the person we were supposed to? Then why the hell didn't we have a plan B?! "Do we have a plan B?" I asked her, scared to hear her answer. Turns out I didn't have to, she simply shook her head. "There might be someone you can talk to though..." She was walking around the cave, picking up some colourful crystals and laying them in a moon shape on the ground in front of me.

"Everyone join hands!" She called out, her voice echoing off of the rocky walls. An olden woman to my right gripped my right hand and Yarah took the remaining space on my left hand. Soon enough we were in a giant circle around the moon of crystals. "It's not something any which I know has ever been able to do, but there's enough that's special about you, that I think you might be able to pull it off." I was still so confused and her riddles weren't making anything easier for me.

"What exactly am I meant to be doing?" I asked looking into all of the faces of the witches that were currently staring blankly at me. Yarah's voice was like the ghost of a whisper next to me, "you're going to get in contact with someone for us. She was one of the best and if you can managed to make contact, I'm sure she'll have all of the answers you're looking for." I still wore the same expression of doubt, so she tugged on my hand so that I would look at her. "You're going to use us as a channel and contact your mother, Jessie... You're going to contact Hazel."