Chapter Fifty Five

Logan

The long stone corridors were cold and uninviting, there was a cold chill in the air and I'd lost my whereabouts around an hour ago. I'd managed to find Storm, he was barking at the walls. Just like my dog to lead me into the dark and it be all all for nothing. At least I had Storm, I couldn't imagine being in these tunnels by myself.

It was creepy, deathly quiet and I was getting frustrated. "It's all the same! We've been walking around in circles this whole time." I shouted in annoyance. How was I ever meant to get back to the house if I couldn't even find my way to the stairs. Storm jumped against a wall and started pawing at the rock, "yeah, I don't think we can dig our way out like that buddy."

I'd tried to mind link to Misty and Rae not long ago, but it was useless, for some reason all I could hear was white noise through the line. I'd exhausted all of my efforts and my strength from running around was depleting fast. Storm continued to scratch at the wall in front of us, I leaned against the wall and started to slide down towards the floor. Eventually someone would find me, eventually I would be out again.

I'd dropped the fire torch by my side, what was the use in seeing if there was nothing to see anyway. My head was in my hands, the shadows on the wall dancing and mocking me. All of a sudden I heard a clicking noise, it sounded like metal cogs turning. I was on my feet and in a defence pose immediately, Storm had run back to my side. We both watched as the wall where he was scratching at moments before opened.

There was a huge flood of bright light, I held my hand in front of my eyes to shield myself from the brightness. Storm hid behind my legs, "you're the one that caused this," I told him, "you don't get to hide behind me." Of course, I was nothing but a sucker for my dog and he was well aware that he could do as he wanted. The opened wall seemed to lead to another type of room.

The walls weren't the same as the stone corridors I had been in for hours, instead they were stark white and clinical. The floor was the exact same, only with marbled tiles instead of paint. Did I dare go in? What if I went it, only to have the walls close up on me again? Would I rather risk sitting out in the halls and waiting for someone to fine me, or investigate and try to find a way out?

My mind was made up for me as Storm ran straight for the white room. "Okay then, I guess we're investigating." I sighed to myself. Again, I tested the floor before I stood on it, who knows what kind of things could've been put in place as a security measure. Once inside the room, it didn't seem nearly as bright. The walls were lined with paintings and there were stone seats in the middle of the room, it almost looked like an art gallery.

It seemed odd that those tunnels could lead to anything like this. It was so different to the rest of the house. Just as I suspected, the wall that had opened up to let us in, started to close. "Storm!" I shouted, "we need to get back out." Storm wasn't listening, he was sitting on one of the stone seats with his head held high and his ears popped up in alertness. "Storm come on! I don't want to have to leave you in here." I tried again. Still nothing.

Fine. Once again, I had let my dog rule my life and now we were both stuck. I was searching around the room, trying to find anything that I could to stop the wall from closing. I tried to push at the stone seating, but it was stuck in place. I wedged myself between the gap in the wall and shoved at the closing stone with my hands and feet. It was no use. It would keep closing and if I didn't move I'd be squished like a bug too.

I gave up, watching as the wall in front of me sealed completely. "That's a clever dog you have there." A familiar voice called out. I was quick on my heels, spinning around to see Yarah fussing at Storm's fury body. "He knew exactly where to find me. You're lucky to have a companion in a dog like him you know?" So I was completely confused right now.

"Yarah, what the hell are you doing in my pack house?" She peaked up from fussing Storm and folded her arms over her chest, "am I not welcome in your pack house Alpha? You did send me a letter saying that you wanted to see me again after all..." That was right, I did, but I didn't expect to see her in my home. "I was hoping that you'd reply before just showing up, and I expected to come back to your coven cave."

She rolled her eyes, "Alpha, if you want something done, you just have to do it. I thought your father would've taught you that at least." There was something bugging me, something niggling at the back of my mind trying to get out. Wait... "How exactly did you get here?" I asked her, suspicion coating every word. She gestured to the spacious room around her, "this was my 'in house' meeting room with Alpha Choal." She ushered me over to one of the paintings, "take it down." She ordered.

I didn't know if this was a trap, what if I touched these paintings and then I was trapped or killed? I couldn't trust them. They had never given me a reason to trust them. Secrets and lies had been woven through my whole life, I couldn't trust anything anymore. She rolled her eyes, glaring at me, "fine, i'll do it." I just thought you might want to do the honours."

Yarah lifted the painting and placed it on the floor, but I was still staring at the place the oil canvas had been. Stuffed inside the wall were piles upon piles of papers, books and folders. "What's all of this?" I asked nervously. She took a book from the pile and handed it to me, it read:

Mood Goddess historical study.

She looked up from the book and I met her eyes, she looked deadly serious as she said one word that froze the blood in my veins. "Evidence."