Year 4 - 58

"Remind me, why couldn't we change out of our dresses?"

Astrid rolled her eyes playfully as she leaned back against a statue with her arms crossed.

"Daph, you of all should understand that a fancy night requires fancy attire."

"None of us know a warming spell. We are going to freeze to death," having said that Daphne pulled the scarf tighter around her neck, also placing the hood of her coat over her head as a last resort to keep warm.

"I'm sure Granger knows," Astrid shrugged pretending to not notice the suddenly suspicious looks of her two friends.

"Granger?" Daphne questioned simultaneously with Rosier: "How does that have anything to do with Granger?"

"I invited her along."

"WHAT?" the two exclaimed, then exchanging a furious muddled glance.

"The girl was miserable. I couldn't just leave her there."

"Of course you could've just left her there. We don't talk to Gryffindors," Rosier was furious.

"You talk to the Weasley twins," Daphne raised an eyebrow and Astrid chuckled. 

"Besides the point, Greengrass!"

Astrid sighed getting back to her explanation. "I thought it could be more fun spicing up our dynamic. Plus, I'm curious as to what happened. I'm sure you Rosier will figure it out straight up. And I dunno... I feel her problems have something to do with boys as she sobbed right when I mentioned her being Krum's date so I supposed, Daph, that she could use some of your anti-men energy."

Daphne's blonde brows furrowed in offence as she crossed her arms leaning backwards.

"I'm not anti-men," she exclaimed, "I love men!"

Rosier huffed amused, gaining the blonde's attention. "Daphne, your idol is Yemaya Zabini."

Daphne narrowed her eyes suspiciously. The girl knew better than anyone what the woman was like. And although her husbands had died quite mysteriously that didn't mean she was anti-men. In fact, she liked them a lot. And nearly all of them. One couldn't blame a girl seeking out for the finer things in life.

"I don't know whatever you are trying to imply here," Daphne looked away her chin held high.

Both Rosier and Astrid exchanged a look and then snickered.

It was a matter of a few seconds before they heard quiet shuffling and a door opening. The girls froze for a moment, expecting the worst, but relaxed once Hermione Granger stepped into their line of vision. 

Personally, the bushy-haired girl had no idea what on earth she was doing just then.

"Hey," she greeted them rather shyly and Astrid and Daphne smiled back, Rosier standing indifferent as ever.

"Hi," Astrid culled, nudging Rosier to mumble a greeting too.

"Hi, darling," Daphne beamed putting on her I-am-pretending-we-are-friends voice and Astrid had to fight the urge to scoff at her. "I and Rosier, we love your dress. One of the best tonight, truly."

"They do that in every ball," Astrid explained hoping for the tense air between them to just disappear. "Daph and Rosier have a tradition of rating people's dresses."

"Thank you," Hermione smiled, "you girls look lovely too."

"Than-"

"There's no need to compliment us just for the sake of being polite," Rosier grumbled fixing the hat on top of her head casually.