Year 4 - 66

September 1965

Eric Evuflyn skipped down the length of the Great Hall and to his seat on the tiny stool stationed at the very front of the room. The young boy was smirking excitedly as he looked over the hall full of expecting students all wondering in what house would the new handsome-looking boy be put in.

Slytherin was called and the boy sighed in relief for that had been what his family had expected, and simply for the fact he really liked the colour green. Eric walked over to the cheering table of students with black and green ties and was instantly greeted with a pat on the back as he sat down. 

Turning his head to the side he saw a posh-looking serious boy sat next to him. He didn't have to think twice to recognize the platinum-blonde as one of the Malfoys.

Eric smiled, extending his arm to the blonde. The lad looked down at the hand and then back at Eric raising a single eyebrow. He had been taught to find out who the person was before deciding if they were worthy of being a companion and that was exactly what he was doing.

"Evuflyn. Eric Evuflyn," the lad still smiled, hoping and waiting for the cold expression of the other to finally crack.

Lucius couldn't help but give a small smile back as a flash of recognition ran through his eyes. Evuflyn's were not one of the sacred families but they held their respect in the wizarding world.

"Malfoy. Lucius Malfoy," the blonde spoke, shaking his hand with the other.

April 1968

The two boys sat in silence. A rather long and painfully loud one. Lucius laid on his back in his bed, hugging a pillow as he stared at the bottom of the bunk bed above him. Eric sat in the empty bed across him, looking at his friend rather sorrowfully. Their other roommates were absent - why or where they were being the least of the two youngsters' worries.

The two had been coming back from one of their curious restricted-section midnight searchings when an owl had come out of nowhere, dropping a letter into the tall blonde's hands.

Lucius had always enjoyed receiving letters from his father. Perfectly demanding - the letters always pushed the boy to do his best. Lucius Malfoy had never known the true affections of a mother, for his had died while giving birth to him. Respect, power and reserved politeness had always been the norm in his family.

Abraxas Malfoy was not the nicest of fathers, neither one of the better or experienced ones, but he was all Lucius had and he was grateful. One thing he had been taught from the beginning of his times was that family was everything. Blood-purity and preserving your family (was it literally through keeping one's blood pure or just maintaining the respect of their name) had always been a top priority.

That was why receiving a letter that, although not directly, but all the same so clearly stated that his father had been behind Nobby Leache's mysterious resignment had saddened the boy so much. Of course, the young blonde agreed that having a muggle-born as a Minister was ridiculous. But that didn't mean the 13-year-old regarded poisoning to be the most brilliant way to get rid of him.

The lad felt conflicted and Eric Evuflyn even more so.

The two boys told one another everything. Even the things they shouldn't have been telling, like these news about Abraxas Malfoy.

Eric was not the firmest of believers of preserving blood-purity for all its cost. He was very well aware that his grandfather was a muggle-born. Although he had only ever met his grandma, and the pureblood witch who had married the man, taking his name and becoming Celeste Ninomae, the boy had heard many great stories of the man.