Year 5 - 130

"May I steal her away from you for a single dance?" 

Before Astrid had even managed to turn around to look at the man, her hands had already been taken into his and he spun her around the room, with the music tempo having gone back up. Astrid glanced at Daphne who still stood in the same spot shocked and a little wary. Astrid gave the girl a little thumbs up hoping that it indeed was alright. 

When she looked back at the man in front of her, she took in his appearance. He was tall and looked to be in his early thirties. Though the seeming silkiness of his dark hair showed none of the age, and she supposed if he would shave his beard, he'd look even younger. His monolid eyes watched her intently and when he opened his mouth, she couldn't help but feel like she had already heard him somewhere before. It felt impossible, as she was sure she would've remembered the man's striking features.

Unable to hold the eye contact Astrid looked away, her eyes desperately searching for the platinum blonde she hoped wouldn't hesitate to rescue her if it came down to that. Just the moment she began thinking it might be time to worry, the man twirled her outwards in the dance and pulled her back in, to then hold her at a little further and at a loads more respectful distance than before. He smiled softly and she wanted to believe he wasn't a threat after all.

"How's the ball been going for you?" he inquired sympathetically, but Astrid felt there was a mocking edge to his words.

"Brilliant," Astrid forced a grin of her own.

"You must be pleased your father got you into an event of such high praise as this."

Who on earth is this person?

"Yes," Astrid gave a charming smile nevertheless, "I'm very pleased."

"He'll be happy to hear that," he twirled her outward and the back towards him, pulling her just close enough to whisper into her ear. "He's been waiting to meet you." He pulled back.

Meet me? But my dad saw me just hours ag-Oh... OH, she couldn't hide the look of unease that spread across her face. How the hell does this dude know?

As much as she tried to convince herself the fact that Lord Voldemort himself wanted to meet her wasn't that bad of a thing, it worried her. She had constantly seen him all throughout her childhood after all. He had given her that ring as a present. They had had a steady relationship and he had protected her. Yet despite all that, she also remembered all the horrid things she had read in History books - all the torture and death he had caused. She wanted to be brave but there was no denying the man terrified her still. Especially the fact he wanted to meet her...

Astrid fought a grunt as her head gave a strong pang. 

Perhaps, I shouldn't be all that scared... Astrid tried to remain positive. What I should do is get my head checked for migraines or something...

The third worst decision Astrid Ninomae ever made was really close by. 

"Ah," Astrid nodded, pursing her lips and looking to the side again. She glanced at his eyes but then looked away just as quickly again. Something about his persistent gaze was equally uneasy as it was familiar.  She felt like she had back in her first years of Hogwarts when some of the professors kept staring at her like they knew something she didn't. It felt just like it had when professor Moody had stared straight through her soul back in fourth year and she had felt he'd find a reason to send her to Azkaban. Astrid couldn't figure if it had made her relieved or more uneasy when she had found out the lad staring through her back then hadn't been an Auror at all but rather a deatheater.

Recognising the song, Astrid knew it was coming to an end, and she breathed easier. 

"Would you like to go meet him?"