Year 3 - 19

"Alright class, so to understand how muggle lives really work and how they survive without magic, first we will have to dive deep into their history and how they've gotten to where they have gotten today."

It was a Thursday, the third day of school, and her first Muggle studies class as well as coincidentally the last class of the day. Initially, Astrid had signed up for the class for the simple reason of having one class which she would surely pass. Considering she had lived eleven years as a muggle the girl believed she would excel in the class easily. 

Actually sitting in the classroom she realized two things - one good, one bad. 

The good one was that she and Daphne were the only two Slytherins in their year taking the class since others considered it a stupid waste of time. The bad thing was that she understood that the class wouldn't be as easy and having heard the teacher loves giving out essay assignments felt horrid. Her plan had been to just relax in the classes, perhaps have a few good naps, and then simply scribble the obvious answers in the test. But now that professor Burbage had informed them about having to learn the history and historical facts, well... it didn't appeal to Astrid no more.

Why Daphne was there was also a mystery to her, but the girl seemed rather amazed and watched the teacher with great interest.

Astrid sighed and looked down at the transfiguration in front of her deciding that it was enough bad news for the day. Why transfiguration? One may ask. Well, it's all got to do with Astrid's not so delightful morning.

For some reason, Astrid had woken up extra early that day, and not wanting to bother her roommates, plus, neither being able to fall asleep again, she had decided to bring out her in-ear headphones.

Astrid had been ecstatic thinking about how she would never have to worry about being bored since this year she had her walkman and everything brought with her. If her friends didn't want to go with her, she'd just go on a walk or a run with herself and her music. If her friends were all bores and studying in their room or the library, Astrid could simply put on her earphones and listen to some music. She knew she could always count on music to calm her down, or on the other hand, lift up her spirits. The girl had been looking forward to a year rid of the blank staring into the depths of the Dark Lake.

All, of course, until she actually brought the whole set out. 

Astrid had put on her earphones, put the cassette she had wanted into the walkman, and pressed play, only for it to make a loud screeching sound. She had looked down at her walkman to see in horror that it was emitting smoke. Frantically she had opened it, and when she had seen the state of her burned-up favourite cassette, she had let out a quiet cry. But her quiet whimpering had been short-lived.

"What?" she had cried out rather loudly waking up her roommates. 

Tracey had opened one eye to peek at what was going on and then laughed seeing the fuming cassette. "Idiot. Why do you suppose wizards never use modern technologies? It's because there's simply too much magic going around for them to be able to function."

"When was anyone going to tell me that?" she had whisper-yelled back at the girl who closed her eye and turned on her side, still wanting to get some sleep. Astrid also saw Maggie turn around annoyedly while the other three girls were still out cold.

"Use your pea-sized brain, dimbo," was all Tracey had said before dozing off once more.

After all that Astrid had definitely not gotten any more sleep. Instead, she had sat in her bed staring blankly out the window into the depths of the Dark Lake.

Now in Muggle studies, she was looking through transfiguration to try and figure how to transfigure a radio or some kind of musical device. It had been just 2 days but she already desperately craved hearing the pleasant melodies once more.