Chapter 15: The Other Half

A few days earlier...

Sounds of working machines filled the empty room. Constant chimes, beeps, and buzzes were being emitted behind the bed. The curtains were closed tightly, no sigh of sunlight could be visible from the small room.

Outside of this room came the desperate cries of a young women who's screams were mixed with sobs. She had appeared to have been screaming for hours, her voice was raspy and exhausted. How long it had been, she'd not known as those who had told her to politely quiet down had long since left.

A small child lay on the bed, her eyes closed tightly, deathly pale and pouring with sweat even through the coolness of the room. To her right was a ventilator and it was breathing for her.

She could in fact hear her mother's continued cries and sobbing, but only from afar. It was much harder, but she could also hear her father's immense strength snap what sounded like a chair handle.

If only she could speak, or at least move her lips. To tell them it was ok, she was all right...That there was no need for them to cry...She was going to get better and that her nightmares and ache in her lungs were simply a powerful cold strain.

But at the same time it hurt, it was too much pressure on her body: the pain. The screams she had emitted only weeks better had increased tenfold. No longer were they easy to console with sleeping at her parents' side or being held in her father's arms, now she could hardly recognize who her mother and father were. She was scared of the man and woman who tried to understand what was going on and inside an unfamiliar house.

She gave a small gasp and the ventilator also let out a cry, as a singular long beep.

"Eh?" Lisa rubbed her eyes. "A dream?" she gave a loud yawn and sat up, stretching. Her usually well-kept dark navy blue hair was sticking at odd ends, and her eyes were filled with eye boogers.

Checking to the right side of her bed was the small fairy puppy Yuki who was sleeping, her chest rising with each breath.

"Why am I having those type of dreams?" she asked in a whisper of mixed confusion. Taking another breath, she slowly and quietly got out of her bed.

"I shouldn't be thinking of the past."

Lisa got quickly got dressed, trying not to think so hard on her dream, she had started to fold her pajamas when she heard Yuki began to stir.

"Ah...did I wake you up?" she asked softly when Yuki opened her eyes.

"I was already waking up on my own-ki." she sat up, wagging her tail at the sound of Lisa's voice."I even slept like a rock-ki!"

"I'm glad." There was genuine relief in her voice. "My dad used to tell me how much I talked in my sleep when I was little and I didn't want to bother your sleep."

Yuki sat up and looked around as though searching for something, or someone.

"Are they here-ki?" she asked suddenly.

"No, they're not..." Lisa said, fixing up the blinds of her room. "Dad went to work and my mom is out shopping for essentials. We have the whole house for ourselves."

"Yay-ki!" Yuki flew around her room, "I won't have to stay in your room all day."

"I can imagine it being kind of boring, to be honest..." Putting her clothes away, she smiled at the small puppy who was flying in circles at a rapid in her room.

Yuki made excellent company, Lisa could confirm it better then anyone, the fairy was insanely cheerful, just as much as Kibou had been in the dorms. But at the same time, it was difficult to leave the puppy alone or she'd---