Chapter 23: The Blood of the Pretty Cure

"That's not possible."

But even as she said it, Emiyo couldn't shake the possibility of this being true. But it just didn't seem right...

If he could do magic, he'd have told her-----shown it to the family----convince them that he was not crazy, that he hadn't lost his mind-----he could still be alive...

"No." Emiyo said harshly, standing up, glaring at Kameko. "He didn't."

She looked upset, and Kameko turned the other way. Of course...why had she...

"For one, he wouldn't be dead."

Her voice was bitter, loud, and full of emotion. She closed her eyes for a moment before speaking.

"I knew him the most," Emiyo said in a much softer tone. "not once did he speak of tales of magic..."

"But then," Kameko persisted gently, scared of making Emiyo lose her temper at the mention of their grandfather, "what did he tell you about?"

"That knights were real," Emiyo rummaged around in her belt until she found the silver emblem. "gave me this." she held it up. "As a good luck charm."

Kameko already knew this piece of information, yet she knew there was something Emiyo was not telling her.

"What else?"

"Stories," Emiyo felt around the emblem with her thumb. "heroes foretold in legends, people who were able to help save the world, make it a better place."

Emiyo couldn't stop, everything was pouring out of her now. "Said the possibility of there being other worlds where people needed help."

It made sense. Now that Kameko thought about it. He had known. Perhaps not all of the details, but he knew the most important part:

"But still," Emiyo said, her fingers clenching
the silver emblem. The one thing she had held onto for years. What had helped to keep her dream alive. The only thing left that had belonged to her grandfather

Everytime she stared at it, she couldn't stop thinking about him. Of how much he understood what she believed in.

"wouldn't he have done something if he could? He could have told me, couldn't he? Something was missing at the time? What was it?" her eyes were wet with tears, and she quickly brushed them off with her sleeve.

"It was us..." Kameko told her, head bowed. "We were what was missing..."

Silence befell the twins, who couldn't figure out a way to keep the conversation going. For how long they stood there, they had absolutely no clue. Kameko ignored the sniffles coming from Emiyo.

She truly felt like an outcast...Never to understand how truly connected Emiyo and their grandfather were. It was too late now.

"I regret it." she said to the still and quiet atmosphere, it seemed that even the woods, trees, and wind stopped uttering a sound.

"not getting to know him. Or how he was, like you did. Instead I....well you know..."

Emiyo did know. She wiped her eyes a second time and took a deep breath.

"I wish the Past Precure were still alive. Maybe she'd know something..."

There came a sudden rustle from the bushes close to them. Automatically the twins leaped into action when a flash of light blue flashed by and a certain cerulean track suit.

"It was getting quite tiring hiding out in the bushes." Sloth said, his baby blue eyes gleaming with delight.

          _______________________________