Chapter 24: The Princess of Mercy

Kameko sat on one of the many chairs of the cafeteria with Emiyo and Lisa one afternoon, a few days after the camping trip. She did not focus her attention on the two of them, though.

"Taking another good look at the mid-1900s map..." Kameko said for the third time, taking a bite of her steak, she whispered the last part. "It could help us..."

"I'm still wondering whether that map is outdated..." Emiyo muttered under her breath after drinking her smoothie.

"But the headmistress gave it to me..." Kameko pouted. "It's got to be useful!''

"You sure idolize the headmistress..." Emiyo rolled her eyes. "She's a normal human being like the rest of us, what exactly turned you into her fangirl?"

"Don't you get it?" Kameko slammed the book close and pushed up her glasses in a you-would-understand-if-you-were-smart way. "She created the Institute we're studying in! Headmistress Augustine has of published books on all the subjects this school teaches!"

She spoke so fast that she began to run out of breath, her face flushing a bright red.

"Shealsowroteaboutherownlifeitwasinthebooksshe---"

"Um...I'm not a bookworm or a nerd...so no I wouldn't get it." Emiyo continued, worried for her own sister's safety as she began to turn blue.

"And it's not like she knows what we're doing with our time, not to mention saving the world..."

Kameko did her signature sigh, returning to her normal light tone, and cracked open her book. She still wore her fireproof gloves and eyed the book with deep interest.

She began to read at the speed of light. Emiyo directed her attention towards Lisa."So how's the Fashion Club?"

"Pretty good." Lisa said, clapping her hands together. "We're working on designing classical style dresses before going on to the more advanced and intricate styles...But to be honest...I kinda wished we'd actually go to the harder parts first..."

A lightbulb seemed to go off, and Lisa pulled out a notebook. "I just got an idea!"

Not paying much attention to anything else, with a kindred spirit similar to Kameko's, Lisa took a pencil and briskly started drawing. "A little of this...A little of that..."

Emiyo smiled, and continued eating, taking her time to enjoy every single bite, knowing that these days of peace and enjoyment would not last forever.

She continued her day, going from class to class, making sure to work through all her of her assignments. Emiyo bid Kameko and Lisa farewell and she stood in front of the fencing club's door. It was already midday as the looks of the clouds broke away to let in the sunlight through the windows.

Emiyo waited until everyone entered, before entering herself. She speedily collected her uniform and went into the changing rooms. In a fewminutes she was geared up and ready, dressed completely in white.

Emiyo picked up her sword and helmet as a voice spoke, mildly surprised.

"Wow, you're quick." said a brunette haired girl named Pansy behind Emiyo, one of the few younger girls in the club.

"I'm just in the mood to practice. Not only that, but don't we have a competition coming in September?" she said, feeling around her sword in anticipation.

"Oh yeah...Lorelei will be pushing us to our limit..." Pansy said, heading to the changing rooms in a hurry. "I gotta dash then."

Emiyo placed the helmet over her head and walked towards the abandoned side of the
building. Taking a final look at her sword, she got into position, ready to fight an invisible foe in front of her.