Chapter 40: Emiyo's Declaration

Flying from above made the shadows angry. They grew twice in size and screamed, trying their hardest to catch the phoenix.

Emiyo hung for dear life, making sure not to squeeze Akari too tightly.

Riding with Kameko had made it less scary, but now that she was alone and with screaming shadows behind Akari her, Emiyo seemed utterly terrified.

But thinking about Virtue fighting for her, telling her to keep moving as Lisa did, Emiyo felt such a few was pathetic.

The shadows grew longer, stronger, that Kibou, Yuki, and Kandai-sa were forced to take refuge on Emiyo's shoulders and head.

"Akari," Emiyo asked, watching the shadows change shape. ''we're almost there, aren't we?"

The avian's soft chirp was all Emiyo needed to know.

A loud screeching sound, mixture of fingernails on a chalkboardand an animal in pain blasted all around them. It stopped once the hands came into being.

"Guys-bou!" Kibou was the first to notice them springing from the ground.

"Look-bou!"

Human hands. It was unmistakable the way they rose and curled their fingers. Some larger than others, having no torso or shoulders seem to make no difference.

SLAP!

One missed Emiyo by inches, slamming itself into the rocky boulders below. She had no time to react before the next set of blows came from every direction.

Akari flapped her wings, rising, falling, and even doing a loop-the-loop when one hand tried to snatch the large bird from the air.

Emiyo felt her insides twist and contort, she heard hard breathing from her shoulders and head.

She gently put her face onto the phoenix's feathers as she dived and swerved.

Her heart was racing and her hands began to hurt. Emiyo wondered if Akari could feel her distress? Or was the avain stressed enough?

Keeping low for the fairies' sakes, she made what little stroking motions she could for Akari.

The phoenix seemed to take it to heart, increasing her speed and agility. Every hand that Akari was unable to dodge, fell prey to the flames on her wings and tail.

There was one last scream before Akari slowed down and Emiyo sat up.

In front of her was an fireplace, the only source of light other than Akari.

Sensing no danger, and Akari landing, Emiyo took those factors as a sign of safety. She jumped off and gave Akari one last longing look.

Kibou, Yuki, and Kandai-sa waited patiently for Emiyo. Another second of silence.

"Thanks for everything Akari-chan."

A small bow and Emiyo ran towards the fairies, the phoenix herself returned to her partner's emblem.

Emiyo walked towards the brimming, fireplace alongside the fairies, she wanted her emblem back.

Every step she took made a soft echo, before a piece of floorboard appeared. The crackling flames grew closer and firewood took shape around it.

"It must be enchanted-ki." Yuki whispered, watching walls come to life. "With some type of illusion from the shadows-ki."

No one dared stop moving forward, watching the house build itself from nothing.

"It'd definitely be convenient," Emiyo stared at a window that looked out into the shadowy depths around the house. "if we didn't have Akari."