Chapter 17: The Calming Blue Waters of Celebration

"The ocean looks wonderful..."

Lisa's ocean eyes looked around excitedly at the vast body of water before them.

"We deserve it after the other day!" said Emiyo happily, pumping both fists in the air. "Right, Kameko?"

Kameko was busy thinking, as always. Her fingers were tapping rather calculating at the basket on her other hand.

"Not to long before we head back to the academy, I heard our parents talking about it..." she said absentmindedly.

"You didn't have to remind me..." Emiyo's face deflated, and she gave a small pout.

"You don't want to go back?" she turned to her sister, her pigtails slapping Emiyo in the face.

"I mean I do," Emiyo pushed Kameko's hair away. "but it was kind of nice spending time in Osaka too, I'll look forward to those fencing matches."

Lisa had enough of their chatter.

"But right now----"

"We go to the beach!" Lisa interrupted them and taking them both by the arm, she rushed into the sand and the big body of water.

"Wow!"
"Oi!"

Lisa was positively glowing, "You can worry about that later! Right now, let's have fun on our last few days in Osaka!"

Emiyo and Kameko eyed one another, both sighing, but smiling at Lisa's enthusiasm.

"Us too-bou!"
"Yeah-ki!"
"Me too-oshi!"

The three fairy siblings leaped into action. Kibou landed on Emiyo's head, Masayoshi on Kameko, and Yuki on Lisa.

"Of course!" Lisa told the fairies. "We're here to all have some fun!"

The warm glow of summer was upon them.
Today was pretty ordinary, a simple day to go to the beach---

"Plus it's Emiyo and Kameko's birthday!"

The twins grew pink in the faces, above everything that was happening... today was June 16, their birthday.

Lisa had been far too kind, at least that had been Emiyo was thinking. She had no idea
what Kameko's opinion was.

They had woken up to their parents tossing them presents, literally. Emiyo still had some confetti on her head.

As stern as they were, how often they compared her to Kameko, sometimes told her she needed to work extra harder, and how much shame she brought them; Emiyo knew they were good parents at heart.

Even today, as she watched the rustling of the waves, the looks of delight from Lisa and the fairies made her feel genuinely alive...

What she did next was not something she saw herself doing, but she was so elated and happy that it didn't matter what happened in the past. To Emiyo, past was past, present was now, and the future---What would come, would come and they would have to meet it when it did.

Kameko felt it before she could react, her hand was surprisingly strong and warm, not from the summer heat.

"Thanks for being by my side for fifteen years..."

Kameko sighed dramatically, "No need to get sentimental..."

"Oh ok then." A develish look plastered itself across her face as she stepped forward, hands raised.

"Wait...what are you---"

Emiyo pushed her into the water before she could say another word, her face broke into the biggest smile possible. Masayoshi quickly flew away, fear in his face.