Chapter 38: Running Out of Time

Kameko could see a difference in Emiyo's attitude. She only spoke a word or two before dashing off to do something.

She seemed tense, somehow. It was written all over her face.

Being together in their's mother's womb gave her that special six sense. But Kameko was too busy:

Busy clearing the giant library of all it's books.

"What are you even doing?" came an astonished voice. One of her club members, a girl with olive skin and black braids named Maude.

"Looking for something." Kameko reached for a hard covered brown book two shelves above her.

"Yeah," Maude frowned. "Looks like your trying to rob the library instead---"

Kameko slipped from the ladder.

Maude winced as the impact made the few books still on the shelves come crashing down in a heap alongside the others.

"Oh look she's dead." Maude said with an eyebrow raised at the mess that not only covered the entire floor but buried
Kameko in it too.

Maude waited until a twitching foot above the debris appeared before picking up the books around her.

"I'm busy!" Kameko's head broke the surface, taking in the mass of books.

"I'm looking for something!"

"I can clearly see that." Maude groaned. "And I just sorted these out..."

Kameko swam, yes swam, in the mass of books, picking one after another.

A vein popped in Maude's head at the lack of attention and assistance.

"Well, excuse me!"

"Don't mind." Kameko muttered, not really listening. She tossed each book that didn't contain what she needed behind her.

Maude tripped, ran, and danced in an effort to catch the ambush of books.

Kameko searched. And searched. And searched again.

There was a book, somewhere, that Kameko wanted to look at. She remembered taking it in her hands...She felt like a complete idiot for not realizing it sooner----

"K-A-M-E-K-O!"

Maude looked red in the face, pouring in sweat with her hands sprawled all over the place. Her shoulders were trembling and her legs bent in odd angles ut she managed to break Kameko's thoughts and realized the huge mess she made.

It took a long time and Maude wasn't
making it any easier. She frowned
and only spoke to Kameko when reorganizing the books.

This was all she could do. No, these weren't the right words---she wanted to do this.

Sheer determination wouldn't cut it. Kameko knew she'd have to bring out something valuable, her skill:

Intelligence and the thirst for knowledge.

And where best then in the school library?

Granted, all the times she'd search it wasn't to say she found anything, only the books
Morgana brought her. But still Kameko
wasn't the type to give up so easily. And that's when she remembered a book called
The Continents from her first club meeting.

See...when in doubt go to the library...The trouble was finding the actual book.

And it wasn't an encouraging search
when you wrecked the school's large library and an angry classmate stared
daggers at you the entire time.