Chapter 7: A brilliant flash of scarlet

It took a few seconds for Envy to recover, but when she did it was not a pretty sight. Kameko stepped back, her arm stung from the impact, but she didn't care. The look on Envy's face gave her enough satisfaction to ignore the throbbing sensation on her hand.

"How dare you!" Envy touched her nose and realized she was bleeding. She clenched the fist that was already staining with blood. "When I get my hands on you--"
Chevalier saw her chance. And stepped inbetween them, leg poised for a kick. Envy stepped back as Pride leapt forward to where Kameko was.

"I've never seen a normal girl do such a thing before..." she tailed Kameko, not bothering to hide her surprise. "That was pretty good, too bad I have to knock you down until you can't walk again."

Chevalier took on Envy, who dodged every punch she threw at her. Envy laughed as she side-stepped Chevalier. "Is that all you've got?"

"No." said Chevalier, jumping to the air Envy quickly followed just as Pride lunged at Kameko. It was a very near miss, Kameko felt the hairs on her head shift side to side.

Kameko knew what she did next was absolutely futile, she didn't know why it came to her, it was absolutely dumb, but she extended her leg forward, aiming for Pride's shins. Pride smiled.

Kameko felt the wind knocked out of her, horrible sounds of snapping wood, and a painful sensation across her back as she looked up at Pride. This had all happened in under a second and with the blink of an eye.

"It was fun and all..." Pride shurgged her shoulders. "I enjoyed seeing you punch the heck Envy, but our mission is far more important." she kneeled before Kameko, a orchid purple ball of light forming in her palm. "I'll make this as painless as possible."

I've been meaning to see her live for a long time without being blinded by it.

"Show me the power of the sparkling knight! That is able to fight anyone who is doing wrong things and help as many people in need as possible!!" said Kameko at the top of her lungs.

Her words seemed to have lit a fire inside Chevalier. She grasped both of Envy's hands and spun around. With quick reflexes she landed on solid ground and tossed Envy where Pride was. For extra measures, Chevalier summoned up her own attack, sword poised at ready.

"Precure! Rainbow Excalibur!~" the same rainbow-colored horse appeared as before and charged towards them. Both skidded away, opposite from each other as the creature evaporated into mist.

Chevalier leaped and landed steadily where Kameko was. "Y...you remembered..." she whispered turning her head, eyes wide.

"Of course I did." Kameko said, her voice hard and saddened. "I always did."

Chevalier scanned Envy and Pride closing in from both sides. Without much time, she manifested a knight dome-shaped barrier that covered the two of them. Envy and Pride began attacking her pink barrier as hard as they could. Chevalier knew it wouldn't hold for very long, however as she thought of what else to do...

"Emiyo...there's something I want to tell you..." Kameko's throat felt hollow and dry.

"What?" she asked, her smile unfazed. She could hear Envy's continual punches vibrate against the barrier, it echoed around them.

Kameko clenched her fists and nodded her head. "....I'm sorry for everything,"

Chevalier continued to stare at Kameko, ignoring Pride's continued swears as her younger sister continued to speak. "Unlike you, I was never perfect in everything I tried, I was always in the midst of mediocrity compared to you. No matter how much effort I put in...I could never be like you. You who could easily make friends, you who could reconnect with our grandfather, you who always seemed to be one step ahead of me at being a nature leader and loved by everyone."