Chapter 33 - Safety In Numbers

Ah it's Sunday and I am... sad. I feel like I'm in another sad boys hour. I get these a lot and a lot more recently. The approaching doesn't help - my SAD is going to go into overdrive and I don't think anyone wants to deal with that. Last year was enough of a nightmare.

Maya's still asleep, but during the night, she started maliciously laughing for no reason. It wasn't loud or anything, but it seemed as if she was plotting something. Something that'll likely hurt me or tighten her grip on me. It was really out of character for her, even with everything going on in her life and what her past actions towards me have been like.

I'm taking today as easy as I can because of how intense yesterday was. 3 hours on stage without many breaks is more than I bargained for. Fall Out Boy songs can be surprisingly taxing on the body. It's worth it in the end though - I delivered a good show that I am very satisfied with. The crowd were constantly asking for more. I don't want to let them down but I have to let them know my limits.

We are due to volunteer later this afternoon which can sometimes become the busiest shift due to it being the end of the week and when some people have the unfortunate realisation that there's just not enough food to make ends meet. Our queues are growing everyday and we are needing more donations than ever before.

What we are seeing more and more of is a trend of people who were doing fine before austerity are now having to turn to the likes of food banks. Out customer base is changing everyday. People needing us for the first time, people getting back on their feet after we helped them, and people falling back into our need. Everyone's needs will be different, but ultimately those needs lead them to the food banks time and time again.

I dream of a day where we no longer need food banks. A day where we don't have to keep scanning emergency vouchers to feed families. A day where we don't have to go lengths for miniscule government support, support that barely stretches enough to meet our demands. A day where the government doesn't turn their backs on us. A day that the government actually listens to the people and follows through on its promises to lift people out of poverty.

I won't be surprised if I end up going to Westminster and setting up protest amongst thousands of others who are sick and tired of what the current system is. It seems inevitable at this point.

//

Everyone else is already up and moving about the casa. I can smell papá's coffee coming from his bedroom. The coffee machine is the best and worst thing I have ever given him as a gift. I'm helping to fuel his caffeine addiction, but at the same time it's what makes him happy and I of course want to make him happy. Shuts him up for a while too.

Abuelo and Abuela have been taking the time they have this morning to plan and organise what their properties need approved and the requests/requirements their tenants needing sorted throughout the week, as well as anything else they are needing to do. Olivia is assisting them with today's tasks, giving her interior design skills wherever necessary to help improve the lives of others.

Val is currently doing some science experiment-related gardening. I'm not entirely sure if I heard that right, but she's been out there all morning. I'm not too sure what else she is doing today, most likely going to be preparing more lab reports and research like she did yesterday.

Maya and I are pretty much the only ones who haven't made an effort to start our day. It is probably ideal for us to maybe make our move now as we will be volunteering in 2 hours. The food bank is 15 minutes away if we skate to it, so we plan on leaving in about an hour and a half.

Papá has said he'll likely be out whenever we come back as he's meeting up with Stefan later, pretty much like he does every other afternoon when they both finish work. It's good that my dad is happy again. Stefan's a great guy for him and I can see them being together for a long time. I do wonder though, just how exactly did they meet in the first place? It'll likely be revealed in due course.