Chapter 30 - No Time for Monkey Business

TW: Use of physical violence, blood and other forms of hurting someone

...I just go over to Brian's house to spend time because he more or less just stays up all night every night anyway?

E: Can I come over I can't sleep.

B: Sure. My door is always open if you need to come over.

E: I'll be over in a tiffy.

B: Alright, the front door is open. Do be quiet though, Anita went to bed about an hour ago.

E: Okay.

Whenever we first moved here, I would go over to Brian's house when I couldn't sleep at night. I had a tendency of just staying awake until the wee hours in the morning (I still do but it's more manageable now) which was draining my dad as he wasn't really okay with me being on my own (dee do de de), so he would bring me over to Brian's for the night and I'd stay over until about midday the next day. It got to the point that both Brian and Anita decided it would be healthier for me to transform one of the bedrooms into my own, so I have an alternative bedroom if I ever need it. The only downside to the room is that it hasn't been updated since I was about 10, although with TikTok trends, you could say my room is very current. Not that I really care.

E: [quietly comes into house] ¡Hola!

B: Hi Evin. Do you want anything?

E: Just some water would do me lovely Brian.

B: Coming right up. Do you want some biscuits too?

E: You know what? I would.

B: You go on into the living room, I'll bring your stuff in.

E: Go raibh maith agat. [goes into living room]

I feel safe whenever I'm here, and with everything going on in my life right now, having this escape means I have a safe space to release all the negative energy. My head hurts just thinking about it.

B: Here you go. [sets biscuits on coffee table]

E: [begins eating] Grazie.

B: What's keeping you up? Is it because you slept in?

E: I'm pretty sure it is. I'm also slowly losing my mind. Little by little, I'm going fucking mental. [drinks water]

B: Did you do much whenever I left?

E: Nothing really. I made food.

B: How were things with Maya?

E: Fine, although she seemed very fidgety. I think something happened at school. I'd ask but I'm not starting anything.

B: [looks] What's that mark on your arm?

E: What mark? [looks at arm] Jesus...

Maya cornering me earlier means she probably scrabbed me.

B: Do you know why you have it?

E: It's like all those bruises - they just appear without much reason. Nothing of concern, I hope... Can we watch Horrible Histories?

B: Sure.

Narrowly avoided that. I don't necessarily feel comfortable discussing anything about Maya. Brian wants the best for me and wants me to be safe, but I can't cope with the constant questions anymore. I just want to be alone sometimes.

The idea of me finding time for myself seems so foreign to me. If I'm ever home alone, I always have something to do for someone. Whether it's school, work, chores or charity, it's taking up my time. I don't remember the last time I was able to relax. My dad doesn't feel okay with me being home alone (despite being 17) so tries to be home as often as possible. Even when I am home alone, someone always comes to check if I'm okay, usually Brian or Anita. If Val wasn't working in the labs right now, she'd probably be instructed to keep an eye on me.