75 ; the potions labratory

LITTLE MISS MUDBLOOD – ACT 2 : SCENE 1 : CHAPTER 75

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

Everybody got up late on Boxing Day, but Y/N had different plans. Sure, she had an excellent sleep, but she was busy - so she first completed all her homework that was due, and then set on figuring out a way to breathe underwater for an hour.

Y/N had a general idea of what she wanted to use. So far, she had ruled out Charmwork, Transfiguration, and Herbology, as everything that had to do with water wouldn't be until they reached the N.E.W.T. level. Defense Against the Dark Arts had been pretty useless when it came to actually breathing underwater, and History of Magic was, well, you know. A History of Magic.

So really, that left Potions.

Y/N was far more advanced in Potions than perhaps anyone else in her year - maybe with the exception of Draco, since his godfather was the Potions Master and all, but still - she exceeded the rest of the fourth years, especially with that book Professor Snape had given her in her first year (evidently, she had read past the assigned chapters after her second year). So Y/N got to thinking - would it be possible for her develop a potion that - well, it was stupid - that allowed her to breathe underwater for at least an hour, if not more? Sure, she was only a fifteen year old in her fourth year of magical school with a little more than average experience -

Ah, to Azkaban with it. Y/N would be damned if she didn't at least try to make it.

So she consulted with Professor Snape, and in the blink of an eye, he was leading her to an abandoned Potions laboratory on the sixth floor. Showing her a silver key, he unlocked the room and waved her inside. Two of the walls were filled with rows upon rows of potion ingredients, from abraxan hair to mistletoe berry to wormwood, and everything in between. On the other two walls were shelves upon shelves of books, all pertaining to potions, that reached the high windows that were shedding bright winter light through the glass. In the middle of the room sat an average sized, octagonal desk, with drawers on each side, a cauldron at the end, and a stone basin in the middle.

"There you have it," said Snape dully, and he placed the key in her hand. "The key is the only way to get into this room so don't lose it. May your potion-making be successful and accomplishing, and remember what I've taught you."

And with that he left, leaving Y/N to stare around the room in awe. Breathing in deeply, Y/N carelessly set her satchel on the desk and slipped the key on her lanyard, briskly making way for the books. Picking out all the ingredient books that elaborated on human anatomy, water-dwelling creatures, and general modifiers, she brought them over to the desk and dropped them, staring at the texts. She didn't really want to do any research, but of course it was essential . . . maybe she'd pick out some other books for a different part of her research . . . .