34 ; phantom pains ✔︎

LITTLE MISS MUDBLOOD – ACT 1 : SCENE 3 : CHAPTER 34

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

Malfoy didn't reappear in classes until late on Thursday morning, when the Slytherins and Gryffindors were halfway through double Potions. He swaggered into the dungeon, his right arm covered in bandages and bound up in a sling, acting as though he were the heroic survivor of some dreadful battle.

"How is it, Draco?" simped Pansy Parkinson. "Does it hurt much?"

"Yeah," said Malfoy, putting on a brave sort of grimace. Y/N rolled her eyes as he joined her, standing too close for comfort. Theodore, Blaise, Daphne, and Hermione were at the table next to her, and they gave amused glances to herself, Harry, and Ron.

"Settle down, settle down," said Professor Snape idly.

Y/N merely glanced at the blonde-haired git before returning to her potion. They were making a new potion today, a Shrinking Solution, and luckily they were making their own potions. Malfoy set up his cauldron right next to Y/N and across from Harry and Ron, so that the four of them were preparing their ingredients on the same table.

"Sir," Malfoy called, "sir, I'll need help cutting up these daisy roots, because of my arm –"

"Weasley, cut up Malfoy's roots for him," said Professor Snape without looking up.

Ron went brick red.

"There's nothing wrong with your arm," he hissed at Malfoy.

Although Y/N couldn't see it, she knew Malfoy was smirking. It was like a sixth-sense.

"Weasley, you heard Professor Snape; cut up these roots."

Ron seized his knife, pulled Malfoy's roots toward him, and began to chop them roughly, so that they were all different sizes.

"Professor," drawled Malfoy, "Weasley's mutilating my roots, sir."

"Oh, stop being a little bitch," Y/N huffed, and he smirked, looking straight past her head.

"Did somebody say something? I can only see people in my direct line of sight," he said, sighing. "Oh well . . . ."

Y/N reddened with anger. How dare he! Sure, he was taller than her but that was low!

Professor Snape approached their table, stared down his hooked nose at the roots, then gave Ron an unpleasant smile from beneath his long, greasy black hair.

"Change roots with Malfoy, Weasley."

"But, sir – !"

Ron had spent the last quarter of an hour carefully shredding his own roots into exactly equal pieces.

"Now," said Snape in his most dangerous voice.

Ron shoved his own beautifully cut roots across the table at Malfoy, then took up the knife again. Y/N, feeling bad for Ron, reached across the table and waved her hand over the daisy roots twice; once, to repair the mutilated roots, and another time, to evenly slice the roots. Ron stared up at her in amazement.