86 ; the ministry's interference

LITTLE MISS MUDBLOOD – ACT 2 : SCENE 2 : CHAPTER 86

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

Y/N's read about thestrals. Fleshless, bony, horse-like creatures, they could only be seen if you've seen death. It was still alarming, however, when she could see them at the front of her carriage upon boarding it behind Daphne and Pansy. A pit formed in the bottom of her stomach as she remembered why she could see them.

Cedric.

"I wonder where Professor Hagrid could be," Daphne pondered as their carriage took off with the Slytherin girls. Y/N's interest piqued, leaving her to forget about the thestrals and to also wonder what happened to Hagrid.

"He wasn't at the platform?" she asked — she'd been too busy avoiding Draco to look for Hagrid upon boarding the platform.

"No, it was that Grubbly-Plank woman," said Adelaide, looking out the carriage window and admiring the Hogwarts castle. Five years here, and yet it still amazed everyone.

"Good, Professor Hagrid was a big joke as a teacher," Zoe muttered, picking at her nails.

"Zoe, this is why nobody likes you," Pansy scoffed, pushing her in the arm. Zoe's gaze snapped to Pansy, almost instantly looking away at the sour look she received.

The rest of the ride after that was silent, save for the rattling of the carriages. As they passed the grounds of the school, Y/N leaned forward to try and see whether there were any lights on in Hagrid's cabin by the Forbidden Forest — the grounds, however, were in complete darkness. Hogwarts Castle was blazing fiercely on the other hand, with the promise of another eventful school year.

Good or bad.

The carriages jingled to a halt near the stone steps leading up to the oak front doors, and Y/N, Daphne, Pansy, and Adelaide were the first ones out, leaving Zoe to walk up the steps into the castle by herself. Perhaps it was mean, but they'd all been fond of Hagrid despite his inexperience. Y/N was surprised Pansy had stuck up for him, but then again Pansy had changed in the past year.

The entrance hall felt familiar around Y/N, the first thing in a while that she had the pleasure of experiencing. With the changes and chaos during the summer, it'd been hard to feel even remotely comfortable anywhere, even in her own home or around the people she considered family. It was a nice change, being able to come back somewhere familiar, and she had high hopes for the upcoming year, despite having O.W.L.S. at the end of the year. Knowing her performance in the past four years, she was confident in her ability to do well on her exams. She was only half-nervous.

It also occurred to her that Quidditch would be coming back considering there was going to be no more Triwizard Tournaments. She hoped to craft a team so good this year that they'd win the Quidditch Cup — Gryffindor has had it in their possession since third year, and Y/N was determined to win it back for Slytherin and keep it until she left the school. Never did she ever want to listen to Harry and Ron gloating about Gryffindor's win . . .