37 ; sugar quills ✔︎

LITTLE MISS MUDBLOOD – ACT 1 : SCENE 3 : CHAPTER 37

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

Harry was kept in the hospital wing for the rest of the weekend. Theodore, Blaise, Daphne, Ron, Hermione, and Y/N would visit early morning after breakfast, and everyone except Y/N would leave before dinner. She would leave right before curfew, meaning Harry would confide in her more so than the others. Harry had a stream of visitors over the two days, all intent on cheering him up. Hagrid sent him a bunch of earwiggy flowers that looked like yellow cabbages, and Ginny Weasley, blushing furiously, turned up with a get-well card she had made herself, which sang shrilly unless Harry kept it shut under his bowl of fruit.

"I think it's cute," Y/N commented when they were left alone at lunch. Harry gave her a dead look. "What? I would've liked to receive a handmade singing card when I fell last year. That would've been nice."

The Gryffindor team visited again on Sunday morning, this time accompanied by Wood, who told Harry (in a hollow, dead sort of voice) that he didn't blame him in the slightest. Y/N thought that was sort of forced, but she didn't say anything after they left.

"Listen," said Harry to Y/N Sunday night, when everyone had gone to dinner, "I saw the grim again – at the match. This is twice now . . . I saw it after running away from Privet Drive before school, and then at the match."

"Well, I see why you wouldn't tell anyone," said Y/N, leaning back in her chair, thinking. "Scary, the Grim. But what if it wasn't a Grim?" she said thoughtfully. "You've seen it – twice – I've seen it once . . . Coincidence? Could just be a big black dog following you around. Maybe it wants a home."

Harry's brows furrowed and he gave Y/N an odd look, saying, "So you don't think it's the Grim - you think that it's just a stray dog?"

"No," said Y/N simply. "Look, I believe that it could very well be a Grim, but let's not rule out any other options. Things aren't always what they seem to be."

Harry sighed, grabbed Y/N's hand, and played with the ring on her finger. He changed the subject and said, "Every time I encounter a dementor, I hear my mum scream and then I faint. And then every time I think of them, I feel sick and humiliated. I wish I could fight them off, you know?"

Y/N nodded, and her face turned into a frown.

"You hear your mum scream?"

Harry gulped, lips wobbling. He turned his head to the side. "Yeah. Before I passed out at the Quidditch match, I heard her talking, screaming. And then I heard this other voice . . . I – I think it was Voldemort. It was – it was the night he killed my parents."

Y/N, thinking, asked, "What did they say?"

"Well – my mum was pleading for mercy, she asked to be killed instead of me," said Harry, squeezing Y/N's hand tightly. "But Voldemort laughed and told her to stand aside – it was like he didn't want to kill her, but I don't think he did that on his own – I think someone asked him not to kill her, like one of his followers –"